Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Ah..... great. So, where is the Signal app for sailfish then?
The way peole communicate has changed. A lot. And the lack of modern ways of communication on sailfish is a BIG problem when it comes to new users. The same way we laughed to iphone users way back when they couldn't send files over BT they can laugh now and tell us to use mail for chatting.
Let me put it this way, I don't like SUVs (unlike my wife) but in the end every manufacturer gave in and they have at least one model because market want StupidUselessVehicles.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Ah..... great. So, where is the Signal app for sailfish then?
Right here, it's been there for about two years now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
What's the problem with Telegram? As far as I know, their API is free to use. And the Sailfish client (Sailorgram) works altho the original developer has stopped developing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to fontaine For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
What's the problem with Telegram? As far as I know, their API is free to use. And the Sailfish client (Sailorgram) works altho the original developer has stopped developing it.
The server side code isn't free and the encryption protocol is pure nonsense (and I think conversations aren't even encrypted by default). They've also managed to set up their own version of the cryptocoin scam (there's that word again!), raking in more than 1700000000 USD for a few canisters of hot air.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
The server side code isn't free and the encryption protocol is pure nonsense (and I think conversations aren't even encrypted by default). They've also managed to set up their own version of the cryptocoin scam (there's that word again!), raking in more than 1700000000 USD for a few canisters of hot air.
Could you tell a bit more about it? Source pls?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by explit View Post
Could you tell a bit more about it? Source pls?
Lack of server source code: https://telegram.org/apps#source-code

Lack of security: https://security.stackexchange.com/q...re/49802#49802

Turns out indeed nothing is ever end-to-end-encrypted on Telegram by default, which is made exponentially worse by the fact that they've now effectively given the Russian government backdoor access to everything: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ncryption-keys

Coins and money: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/1/17...tocurrency-ton

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
They didn't give any keys. That's why they're being blocked right now in Russia.

PS I don't think Telegram is secure, as well as whatsapp/viber/signal/you name it. If an app asks for your phone number - it is not secure, no matter what. It means they want money, one way or another.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
They didn't give any keys. That's why they're being blocked right now in Russia.

PS I don't think Telegram is secure, as well as whatsapp/viber/signal/you name it. If an app asks for your phone number - it is not secure, no matter what. It means they want money, one way or another.
Let me guess, you use exclusively phone calls, SMS and mails to communicate... Oh so do I by the way haha ;-p

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maximilian1st View Post
Let me guess, you use exclusively phone calls, SMS and mails to communicate... Oh so do I by the way haha ;-p
I use jabber for IM.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
I never said that Telegram is secure. For really confidential communication i would use encrypted emails, xmpp etc.

But: With Telegram I can choose which client i can use. Whatsapp has blocked our Harmattan / Sailfish / Maemo clients every time, they banned me for using non-conform client. So this is no go for me.

Telegram might be a bad, insecure messenger, but they are much more sympathic to me, than WA. And the fact, that Roskomnadzor banned them in RUS, makes them one more time sympathic to me

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post: