Posts: 34 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Francisco
*gultig*, you're right and I've edited my post above!

Mike, I don't sleep much I own a Sony PSP and it cannot operate as a USB host (until someone figures it out, anyway).

Last edited by tnkgrl; 2006-01-10 at 00:51.

Live via 770:

gultig, I went to that PSP URL you cited and the whole thing is some argument over pins that's beyond me. I'm no EE or solder jock. And I have no idea what that GP2X they kept mentioning is. None of it inspired confidence.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Agreed. I haven't obtained root or enabled USB host mode on my device yet because of the process involved. Bury the options in the control panel and give us the option to enable them; I break it, it's my fault. Include all the warnings, all the dialogue boxes, etc, but at least give me the functionality. My RCA Lyra is a self powered 40GB HDD that is automatically detected by a PC as an external drive. I'd love to be able to jack it into my 770.
Please note that once root is granted, it is possible to enable/disable USB host mode without using flasher. And, using Kreature's patch (at http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=1003), it is possible to get root relatively easily without needing a Mac or Linux.

So, how do you get USB host mode without using flasher, assuming that you already have root? This has been mentioned a few times on the maemo-developers e-mail list, but for some reason, hasn't made it into the maemo wiki. I haven't tested this, but the following should turn USB host mode on: echo host > /sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode . To turn USB host mode off, use the following: echo peripheral > /sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode . According to posts on the maemo-developers list from Nokia employees, host mode should immediately start working once this is turned on.

Note that there is good reason to keep USB host mode turned off unless it is needed. According to http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Flasher_tool_usage, host mode disables dyntick, which means that battery time goes down. More information about dyntick can be found at http://muru.com/linux/dyntick/.

Aaron

Last edited by AaronL; 2006-01-10 at 01:50.

Live via 770:

This sounds interesting. Will study. Thanks.

BTW:
http://blog.russnelson.com/770/index.html
(Thanks Nokia 770 Blog!)

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Originally Posted by Mike Cane
Live via 770:

gultig, I went to that PSP URL you cited and the whole thing is some argument over pins that's beyond me. I'm no EE or solder jock. And I have no idea what that GP2X they kept mentioning is. None of it inspired confidence.
Mike, that link was just for the image at the top that described the usage of the host usb drive. Nothing special.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade, just adding some facts to the discussion.

BTW- the gpx is a linux based gaming system with dual arm processors. Quite a fun looking system. http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9112527929.html

Last edited by gultig; 2006-01-10 at 05:36.

This whole "damage the nokia" concept must be done away with.
It's my friggin' machine, let me use it!
We need a simple icon to switch the 770 into "geek" mode.
One disclaimer page, with a checkbox to never show it again.
Then, icons for root, Xterm, and "switch USB to host" magically appear.
I mean, Nokia distributes the OS flash program, and that will totally wipe out your system, whatever we do can't be "worse" than that!

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ australia
Mike you have inspired me. after hearing you have your cry I decided to get proactive.

I had a usb hub i was going to do some solldering to feed power back to the 770. I needed a cable to go from USB mini to femail USB A. Descovering that i wasent about to find that cable I decided i would need to make it from 2 regular cables and I may as well make that cable "power injected". to inject the power i decided i would like to use the nokia chjarger, because i have a car cgarger as well this would work well. the electronics store diidnt have tiny plug so i decided i would make it the same plug as the USB hub, 3.5mm.

So I went out and bought a soldering iron, soder, some usb cables, a battry pack, and some 3.5mm power plugs. I took the powered usb hub and conected the external power through a switch so i could still use it as a regular hub as well as a "nokia 770 hub" I decided that i could use one of the cut off cables with a male USB A conecter atached to it, to leac power from a pc and inject it inot my hub or my simple cable with the power injected. A battry batry pack outputs 6V but i want to swap the regular batrys for rechargables so it gets closer to 5.1V.

this was ritten all from my 770. on my keyboard.

like the gaining root on the 770 putting the device into ost mode is a switch that is kept even after reboot.

i have made a simple script and stuck it in /bin and called it usbhost it is exacutable and has the contence of ...
echo host > /sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode

and the other called "usbslave"
echo peripheral > /sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode

and yet thease donot enable and disable usb host mode for me. It seams to be in some kind of limbo, not too much is working with the usb port

Last edited by meshsmooth; 2006-01-10 at 13:25.

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
It is a big deal. No friggin having to get a Mac or Linux on your PC just to modify one damned script command for host mode!

Shame, Nokia! SHAME SHAME!

Beaten by Sony!

Now that is low!
Now let's see. Would I rather buy a machine from Nokia or the folks that make it their business practice to quietly install rootkits on every PC their 'special' Sony CDs come in contact with?

Call me crazy but I'd rather have convoluted root access than support the Sony creeps with my money. In addition, if you want root access to a machine, seems like you'd want it difficult enough so that every Joe Schmoe on the planet doesn't whack their (or your) machine. It won't be a warning label that stops them.

Having read all of the above, if you're still hell-bent on having simple root access to your 770, here's how:

1. Install Xterm on your Nokia 770 from here.

2. Load the Flasher program on your PC, Mac, or Linux box from here.

3. Run this Flasher command on your ... Mac or Linux machine: ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot

4. Turn off your 770, plug it into your machine above with the included USB cable, and then power it on while holding down Home.

5. Open Xterm from the Extras menu and type: sudo makeroot

If you want to avoid steps #3 and #4 in the future, issue the following command the first time you have root access to the 770:

echo user ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL >> /etc/sudoers

You can also turn off RD-mode permanently by repeating steps #3 and #4 using the following commands:

3. ./flasher --disable-rd-mode --reboot

4. Turn off your 770, plug it into your machine above with the included USB cable, and then power it on while holding down Home.

Once you finish the above, it's "Sony Simple" (without the Sony baggage) to gain root access to the Nokia 770 anytime you (or anyone else!) desires:

1. Open Xterm from the Extras menu and type: sudo su

Last edited by AllThumbs; 2006-01-10 at 21:56.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by AllThumbs

Having read all of the above, if you're still hell-bent on having simple root access to your 770, here's how:

1. Install Xterm on your Nokia 770 from here.

2. Load the Flasher program on your PC, Mac, or Linux box from here.

3. Run this Flasher command on your PC, Mac, or Linux machine: ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot

Sorry AllThumbs: the flasher only operates on Linux and Mac..

If the powers-that-be made it work on Windows, things would be very simple.

paul

Live via 770:

I was wondering WTF was up with his mentioning PC. Thought maybe Nokia did something new while I was distracted by Apple. No joy.

But now I have X Term again, so it wasn't all a waste.