Anyone get the hotsync to work?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Well, the options shown on the compatibility settings in gvm are:
Treo 650
Tungsten T3
Tungsten T5
Tungsten T|X
Custom
So that Treo and those Tungstens, at least. Which one? I've no clue.
Someone who knows Palms might be able to tell you which of those is most widely compatible.
Of all these, the Palm TX is the model with the most cpu/ram/etc.

I tried the calculator software when I still owned a palm (TX), but if I remember correctly, it is only an emulator. You still need a rom -or something like that- from the actual calculator, so it was useless to me.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'd like to get Avant Go working. They still have my account which I haven't used since 2000...

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Rom is given with the emulator.

The authors get the right to provide rom with his emulator from hp.

Originally Posted by thomasdawes View Post
Anyone get the hotsync to work?
Can't get it to work. It wants a name or ip address and I really don't know what works.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
http://homepage.mac.com/alvinmok/palm/codenames.html
Run the vm
click on the app you want to run
click on configure
then click on custom for device
now find the device ID and Company ID on the link above.

And you can pretty much run any software from the looks of that custom selection.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I got the power48 HP48/49/50 emulator installed -- and it doesn't work. Worst part is, I have no clue if it's some Palmish thing I'm doing wrong, or if it just catches a shortcoming in the VM.

Well, the options shown on the compatibility settings in gvm are:
  • Treo 650
  • Tungsten T3
  • Tungsten T5
  • Tungsten T|X
  • Custom
So that Treo and those Tungstens, at least. Which one? I've no clue.
Someone who knows Palms might be able to tell you which of those is most widely compatible.

Originally Posted by basco View Post
Can't get it to work. It wants a name or ip address and I really don't know what works.
If I remember correctly, on the first run of the hotsync software, you have to name your palm device so it can create the profile and backup files. So you should be able to put any name in and that will be the name of your "palm", as far as the software is concerned.

For software, try: www.mytreo.net

you have to sign up for a (free) account in order to download apps, but the forums there are really helpful, especially if you have never used the palm os before.

WRT the calculator ROMs, HP's gone back and forth on that.
  • First, the ROMs were copyrighted, and HP would not license them for distribution. So you had to dump the ROM from your HP calculator (legal, under fair use), and use that.
  • Then, HP slackened up and licensed them for free distribution for non-profit use. At that point, most emulators, including power48, distributed them with the emulator.
  • Finally, HP revoked distribution with emulators, but permitted free download from HP, and also from other sites. Just not packaged with the emulator.
So I got the emulator from HPcalc.org. And I also got the ROM image for the HP49 in a separate package from HPcalc.org. And, because I wasn't sure what I was doing, I tried starting power48 with no ROM, then again after I loaded the ROM, to make sure that it was seeing the ROM. It failed in different ways, so putting the ROM on did have some effect.
So for now, I give up. I'm too busy, and tinkering with my N800 wastes too much of my time without an HP emulator.
Still can't wait for ITOS 2008, but I'd better get some work done so I have time for that.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
WRT the calculator ROMs, HP's gone back and forth on that.
  • First, the ROMs were copyrighted, and HP would not license them for distribution. So you had to dump the ROM from your HP calculator (legal, under fair use), and use that.
  • Then, HP slackened up and licensed them for free distribution for non-profit use. At that point, most emulators, including power48, distributed them with the emulator.
  • Finally, HP revoked distribution with emulators, but permitted free download from HP, and also from other sites. Just not packaged with the emulator.
So I got the emulator from HPcalc.org. And I also got the ROM image for the HP49 in a separate package from HPcalc.org. And, because I wasn't sure what I was doing, I tried starting power48 with no ROM, then again after I loaded the ROM, to make sure that it was seeing the ROM. It failed in different ways, so putting the ROM on did have some effect.
So for now, I give up. I'm too busy, and tinkering with my N800 wastes too much of my time without an HP emulator.
Still can't wait for ITOS 2008, but I'd better get some work done so I have time for that.
In the meantime is the Free42 any good to you?
This is a port of Free42, a HP 42S emulator
This program provides a complete re-implementation of this RPN programmable calculator. So it does't need any ROM images to work.

Tags
garnet, palm