Hello everyone
I am very new here and really have read the threads for newbies. Guess thats where I came up with confliction views and would appreciate it if someone would give me the bottom line. My new N800 will hopefully have 2008 on it and I am wondering which version of palm GVM should I use, the one for the 800 or the one for the 810? I seem to read conflicting messages, and need to know the true answer here from someone who knows I am a true very newbie and can use any help available!!

I'm using the N810 version on my OS2008 N800 and it works great.

the n800 wont install so use the n810 version.

Im new to the internet tablet concept as well. The gvm still has a long way to go yet so i would not bother just yet. I removed mine.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
There is a flaw in the naming scheme for the GVM - I guess Access thought that naming the different versions by device would be less confusing than naming them by operating system. They were wrong, IMHO. Anyone & everyone who is running OS2008 should be installing GVM for the N810. Anyone who is running OS2007 should use GVM for the N800.

I agree about the worth of the GVM. I abandoned it after a week or so of use. It just isn't very useful. Most of my Palm apps won't run under it, the screen is too small, and the syncing just isn't there. It's a nice idea, but poorly executed. Perhaps later versions will be better, but this beta version isn't ready for prime time.

Thank you everyone for replying. Now I do understand.I just today got my Nokia n800. It is preloaded with OS 2007, so I will update that to 2008 and then I will grab GVM 810 . Thank you for clearing that muddle up for me!!

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
I agree about the worth of the GVM. I abandoned it after a week or so of use. It just isn't very useful. Most of my Palm apps won't run under it, the screen is too small, and the syncing just isn't there. It's a nice idea, but poorly executed. Perhaps later versions will be better, but this beta version isn't ready for prime time.
I strongly disagree with this. Even with just the GVM and no extra apps, the Palm contact manager in GVM beats ANY available native tablet contact manager by a huge margin. The Datebook app works well also (most Calendar apps for the tablet are buggy). And I personally have apps running reliably under the GVM for database usage, and spreadsheets. For spreadsheets, the closest we have for the Nokia is Gnumeric, which under os2008 has several serious bugs. For MS docs, there is nothing for os2008 yet. Even in its present form, the GVM fills a big hole in the functionality of the tablet. If they fix the sound/alarms issue, it will be excellent!

now that i've sort of figured out how to recover from a catastrophic crash of garnet (just delete the gvw file in /home/user and resync) and deleted avantgo from it i must admit i kind of like the fact i can carry around the n800 with a few of my old favourites from palm days. most of the palm programs i'm interested in work fine, like metro and currency.

john

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
There is a flaw in the naming scheme for the GVM - I guess Access thought that naming the different versions by device would be less confusing than naming them by operating system. They were wrong, IMHO. Anyone & everyone who is running OS2008 should be installing GVM for the N810. Anyone who is running OS2007 should use GVM for the N800.

Is it out of beta yet?

No, and the beta expires in May, from what I've heard.

Tags
garnet, palm