Active Topics

Installed first additional software, Abiword via Application Installer. Everything worked fine, but one question arised: Installer software never asked, if I wanted to install it on the device memory or MMC, like my Nokia 6600 does. After checking memory info on the device, I presume it was installed on device memory.
I just bought brand new 1 GB MMC, so I would really like to use MMC's memory as much as possible, because it seems to be that also web-browsers cache, email,newsfeeds also use this quite limited 64MB device memory for their data, and there is no way in the options to change it (e.g. Web-browser cache->Use MMC).

How can, or can I install software on MMC card?

This is a strange one.

I've had the device since August and still have not found a way to install to anything other then the device memory. Yet if you open the Control Panel and open up Memory, there's a view that displays memory use on the MMC and includes a category called "Installed Applications".

In conclusion, um, I don't know =/

Is this only Application Installer's feature ie. can developer influence where to install program, when making a package for Application Installer?
Nokia, please do something before it is too late: We'll run out of device memory, if good programs continue to emerge to this device. I want to install them all!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Applications are installed into /var/lib/install to not mess up with the rest of the system. It should be possible to make this a symlink pointing to somewhere on the MMC. The filesystem on the MMC, however, is a dumb FAT and the card is mounted with noexec flag.

I did not try it, but I'm sure that by reformatting the MMC and modifying /etc/fstab, you could install applications on the MMC.

Originally Posted by pycage
Applications are installed into /var/lib/install to not mess up with the rest of the system. It should be possible to make this a symlink pointing to somewhere on the MMC. The filesystem on the MMC, however, is a dumb FAT and the card is mounted with noexec flag.

I did not try it, but I'm sure that by reformatting the MMC and modifying /etc/fstab, you could install applications on the MMC.
I did find a link where this something like this was discussed but it involved hardcore geekery and building your own versions of fdisk so I walked away at that point.

If you're referring to the page I wrote on maemo.org, I only built my own version of fdisk because I didn't have an MMC reader handy

You can reformat the RS-MMC card under Linux quite easily. I gave myself two partitions, the first one standard FAT and the second one ext2. The 770 mounts the first partition normally, so it looks like I have a 2MB card. In xterm, I type "mount /dev/mmc<blah>p2 /sw" (or wherever you want to mount the second partition) and it's there. It's not actually that hard.

Originally Posted by bhima
If you're referring to the page I wrote on maemo.org, I only built my own version of fdisk because I didn't have an MMC reader handy

You can reformat the RS-MMC card under Linux quite easily. I gave myself two partitions, the first one standard FAT and the second one ext2. The 770 mounts the first partition normally, so it looks like I have a 2MB card. In xterm, I type "mount /dev/mmc<blah>p2 /sw" (or wherever you want to mount the second partition) and it's there. It's not actually that hard.
Anyone able to give a step by step guide on this for us linux "virgins"

That was the one

So if you have a Linux system and a reader that will read MMC you can format/partition the rs-mmc however you want? That soulds pretty useful.

As Buzz says, any chance of some further info for us linux beginners (I have a ubuntu system lying around) on what can be done and how?

Andy

It seems to me, that for average user, not Linux expert, this memory limit is here to stay for now on. Using xterm or hacking firmware before you can get your software to work is no option for mass market product. In my opinion it limits 770's usability as a PDA, especially if program's data files (e.g. even browser's cache) also are on system memory (e.g. GPS software would probably need alone more memory than 770 is capable of providing). Not that Nokia ever marketed it as a PDA, but still a little disappointing.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa

THIS really isn't as difficult as it sounds. I'll be doing it if my unit arrives and I'll be happy to type as I type.

Great news about it's mounting the FAT. Tried that to a Windows machine via wifi?