Active Topics

Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Or created an enormous panic reaction in community. If they had managed to solve the problems as they believed when DNA's launch was postponed, there would be no problem - except if they actually communicated that out too early. In perfect world people are understanding, forgiving and never misunderstand each other. In real world... it's more wretched.
That's the thing with openness and honesty, it means you are open and honest. I get it that secrecy sometimes benefits companies and in this case they thought it would. I don't think it worked out for them. On the balance, I think being more open and especially being more open in time would have served them well.

At that point they should have known for sure that problems are not solvable in time. There would be no point in communicating things before they are actually known for sure. Even slightest hint of uncertainty regarding deliveries creates huge backlash, no matter how you try to communicate them.
Perhaps so, but loosing trust is doubly hard to gain back. Jolla lost some trust with this move. I doubt they would have by being consistently open about it. And by open I don't mean spilling everything, I mean a balance between nothing and everything that gives people a chance at being involved, without going to the extremes that have too many side-effects.

For some reason you seem to think Jolla found the perfect balance in communication. I don't think that's true. There are many alternatives they could have done.

That's why they are communicated only when other means are exhausted.
Yes, on this I agree. Jolla was open when they had no more any other choices. That doesn't make them very open and it does make them look bad when that happens - the backlash is much bigger when the recipients feel deceived.

We have seen it before, they have communicated things in open manner and it causes problems when something unexpected happens that forces them to make changes and communicate that out. Such changes result in disappointment, frustration and boatload of questions. So, it's fine line between being too silent and being too open.
Sure, I think they missed that fine line by a wide mark in this case.

Yes, in companies that actually have a PR department. Unfortunately PR-departments don't necessarily have all the information about real situations and as far as I have understood, it's one of the most despised things here.
No no, I don't want any PR departments involved in my suggested route. I suggest an entrepreneur or suitably similar character for whom such immediacy both comes natural and who also has great access to actual knowledge.

I have to admit I admire your optimism. However, more communications usually spur more communications, more information spurs more questions so I doubt it would have made any difference in that regard.
Sure, but lack of communications also spurs communications and other kinds of reactions. I'm saying Jolla didn't strike the balance on this one. You think they did, which is odd to me, but I have to accept that as your opinion.

No amount of communications change the faith aspect of things. Only delivered devices, software updates and such things do. Of course communications may increase or reduce that faith - or even both at the same time. The hard part is to know which reaction will be dominant in each situation.
Sure, but I do think honesty for a startup is quite often the best policy. Not saying that is always the case in business, but for a startup trying to build a community relationship... keep it real.

Um... how do you think they do that without losing any time when even tracking codes and shipping status information in shop lags behind schedule to help increase throughput?
Completely irrelevant. Singular tracking codes and keeping them updated can't be compared to a single higher-up person, who monitors the overall situation, keeping the audience up to date. Don't - for a minute - try to make me or anyone believe Jolla's management doesn't know where the pre-orders stand.

They know. It would take them minutes to tell us. They choose not to.

Originally Posted by lupastro View Post
I do not get it. Which is the difficult thing in it? Just print 4000 different address stickers. And do a little of paperwork for the devices going to Norway and Switzerland.
There were only 4000 devices sold in the first round? Where did you get this number from? Guess it were more - once hear about 40000...

Originally Posted by inte View Post
There were only 4000 devices sold in the first round? Where did you get this number from? Guess it were more - once hear about 40000...
Well, I have written 4000. I could have written 8000. According to the spreadsheet, there no more than 5000......(pay attention to the order number)

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lupastro View Post
I share most of your opinion. But there is something that I cannot accept: that someone running around in Helsinki can buy complete spontaneously the Jolla if he wants. And we, that follow it since the beginning and payed blindly, are left behind without information. That is not acceptable.
And that was one of the compromises Jolla had to make to live another day when things didn't go as planned.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
And that was one of the compromises Jolla had to make to live another day when things didn't go as planned.
Are you saying Jolla wouldn't have lived if they'd given out information, though? I doubt you really think that.

Improved communications would have mended many fences in this case.

Anyway, I can see this going in circles so I'll spare the next speech about pre-order order...

On the bright side, I do sincerely believe looking at the data, there is a good chance most if not all Jollas are on the road by Christmas, although some will get them only later.

It didn't go right, not by a long shot, but I hope some good comes from the aftermath. My suggestions had no other motive than improvement.

The Following User Says Thank You to epmt For This Useful Post:
This thread is so mimimimimi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
This thread is so mimimimimi
So more less this

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by epmt View Post
Are you saying Jolla wouldn't have lived if they'd given out information, though? I doubt you really think that.
I was referring to the fact that DNA is already selling Jollas to general public.

Edit: And if I had read the original post more carefully I probably wouldn't have written my reply.

Last edited by att; 2013-12-18 at 21:56.

Well, it looks like yesterday a couple phones were sent to the EU and most of the second wave preorders ordered in september were also sent. Wonderful.

Good morning to all, by the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to lupastro For This Useful Post:
Well. I guess Jolla just wants a small piece of the Christmas cake as well
I think that Jolla has lost a lot of money on this delay. Not only in lost christmas sales, but the pre-order deliveries has probably been way more expensive than planned.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to evk For This Useful Post: