Active Topics

Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
Hm - if I compare - this proto looks like Nokia:

And this proto like an Apple device:

Or is it just because of the color? Not sure yet, which I would prefer...
This looks like two different devices??

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
After looking at the N9 keyboard layout several times now I wonder more and more why Nokia has placed the Ctrl key on the right side.
That makes sense actually, since most commonly used Ctrl-letter combinations are keys on the left side of the keyboard.

Making Sym a dedicated key (like Chr on the N810) is also a good move. Otherwise this thing may have 4 extra keys compared to the N900 but no real improvement. There are still no "<", ">", "|" etc symbols accessible at all on the keyboard, while for some reason they thought we needed a dedicated "@" key... It seems that asking us what symbols we use was a complete waste of time :-(

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
There are still no "<", ">", "|" etc symbols accessible at all on the keyboard, while for some reason they thought we needed a dedicated "@" key... It seems that asking us what symbols we use was a complete waste of time :-(
This is because you think as a command line user where those symbols are much used, but the device is aimed first of all at a general audience, for which command line use shouldn't be required.
My brother would use the '@' symbol several times a day, while nearly never using those other keys.
But I still hope those other symbols aren't too far away to type for our geeky needs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Is it really that hard to have an easy way to access all those extra symbols?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by dtergens View Post
N9 specs ?

http://zomgitscj.com/2010/08/23/rumo...28ZOMGitsCj%29
That sounds good...Whats the difference between a Snapdragon and a Hummingbird for power consumption. Also when is someone gonna raise the bar to 1gb RAM? I think I'd perfer 1gb of RAM and 32gb hd than 521mb and 64gb hd anyone else agree?

EDIT: Best I found was the Galaxy S w/ 512mb RAM and 2gb ROM.
Xperia X10 has 384mb RAM maybe N9 could shoot for 768mb? lol

Last edited by automagic68; 2010-08-24 at 01:23.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
That sounds good...Whats the difference between a Snapdragon and a Hummingbird for power consumption. Also when is someone gonna raise the bar to 1gb RAM? I think I'd perfer 1gb of RAM and 32gb hd than 521mb and 64gb hd anyone else agree?
I would love to see, 1GB RAM, 1GB ROM, 1GB SWAP, 32GB eMMC + MicroSD + USB OTG + HDMI + atleast 720p recording at 30fps + at least a 1Ghz Hummingbird (Snapdragon doesn't have DSP) + FM transmitter + FM reciever + Infrared + Bluetooth + Wireless N + front facing camera 2Mp + 1280x720p display + 30% thinner than N900 + 4" AMOLED multitouch screen + Atleast 5Mpx camera with Xeon and Dual LED for video. Battery last at least 400Hrs standBy, and 6hours 3G calling. Gyroscope + three points accelerometer + Compass + SWYPE..list goes on!

Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
This is because you think as a command line user where those symbols are much used, but the device is aimed first of all at a general audience, for which command line use shouldn't be required.
My brother would use the '@' symbol several times a day, while nearly never using those other keys.
But I still hope those other symbols aren't too far away to type for our geeky needs.
Nokia does seem to like its currency characters.

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
It looks more like Nokia Communicator of 2004 which more looks like a pencilbox

Originally Posted by TheTree View Post
Nokia does seem to like its currency characters.
Though not as much as they used to, the Yen symbol hasn't been seen since the N810 ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Yes, they are different.

Tags
design, nokia n9