Notices

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by jmbowman View Post
PortaBase 2.0 rc1 is now out. With PR1.2 now available, I finally have PortaBase installed on my own N900; seems to be working fine so far (now that I've fixed the bugs reported during beta testing). I've updated the original post to reflect the current state of affairs. Waiting for feedback so I can either fix more bugs or start promoting to extras-testing and extras...
Importing MobileDB files did not work with beta2. I can choose a portabase target file, I can choose a pdb file, the file is imported but not stored to disk. Is this fixed in rc1 ?

Besides this great thing to work with.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Somerville, MA
Originally Posted by ofels View Post
Importing MobileDB files did not work with beta2. I can choose a portabase target file, I can choose a pdb file, the file is imported but not stored to disk. Is this fixed in rc1 ?
Yes, this is fixed in rc1. There was a regression in beta2 which prevented any new files from being created, but didn't interfere with editing existing files; I guess most people had already created their files with earlier versions of PortaBase, because nobody reported the bug for almost a week.

I did just notice there's a bug in updating the list of recently used files when importing an XML or MobileDB file in rc1; just fixed it, but it's pretty easy to work around in the meantime (just open the newly created file using the "Open" button or menu item next time, it'll then get correctly added to the recently used files list).

The Following User Says Thank You to jmbowman For This Useful Post:
PortaBase 2.0 has been released. No bugs were reported against the release candidate, but I did fix a couple that I found on my own (including the one I mentioned above involving the recent files list after importing a file). This release has been promoted to extras-testing for Fremantle, which should make it a little easier for people to try out. I also tried to promote it to Diablo extras, but that doesn't seem to be working at the moment; I'll try again tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmbowman For This Useful Post:
Ok I have some problems, I can't completely install portabase, it keeps saying that Portabase cannot be installed. When I check for updates , there is an 0 kb update available??? Which cannot be installed.
I tried to deinstall and reinstall, but it keeps saying that it cannot be installed. The program is there however, and I can use it...
Even purging the program from Xterm didn't help...

It looks like there was a problem managing the link to the executable from /usr/bin. Hadn't been a problem through multiple installs and uninstalls in extras-devel, so either extras-testing or PR1.2 changed something. Anyway, I just uploaded fixed packages to both extras-devel and extras-testing and confirmed that they install and uninstall cleanly on my N900.

Promotion to Diablo extras seems to be working this morning, so PortaBase should also appear there shortly. I'll check that on my N810 once it appears in the repository, but I'm not expecting any problems there (it isn't optified, and hence doesn't need to manage a link in /usr/bin like the N900 version does).

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
PortaBase 2.0 has been released. No bugs were reported against the release candidate, but I did fix a couple that I found on my own (including the one I mentioned above involving the recent files list after importing a file). This release has been promoted to extras-testing for Fremantle, which should make it a little easier for people to try out. I also tried to promote it to Diablo extras, but that doesn't seem to be working at the moment; I'll try again tomorrow.
The only issue I encountered actually in all versions: The alternating table colors canīt be changed which leaves me with a white row with white text every second row because of the standard theme which expects a dark background.

After updating to PR1.2 I was able to try out Portabase on my N900 at last, and I must say it is a beautiful piece of work ! The integration with the Maemo5 look 'n feel is totally impressive, even more so than the old Qtopia versions for the Zaurus.

Thanks a lot for this nice and useful piece of kit !

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
I have a problem with importing an XML.

I created a simple table with 5 fields and exported it to have a temlate XML file so that i can create a file from my csv file.

I get the error:

error at line 131, column 20
Invalid gfilter: _simple

I get the same error when importing the xml that portabase created for me.

Edit: when i change the _simple to _allrows, the import works.

Application is handy!

Last edited by robbie; 2010-06-07 at 11:31.

Originally Posted by ofels View Post
The only issue I encountered actually in all versions: The alternating table colors canīt be changed which leaves me with a white row with white text every second row because of the standard theme which expects a dark background.
I actually spent a fair amount of time fiddling around with the row colors and looking through the Qt code that controls this. As far as I can tell, Qt 4.6.2 on Maemo 5 completely delegates rendering of the row background colors to the current GTK+ theme; I don't see any way to easily override it, even using the stylesheet mechanism that works in most other cases. The default theme on the N900 uses black for both normal and alternating row backgrounds, so there's basically no alternating row effect (I'm guessing this was done to save power by reducing the overall screen brightness). If you're getting white as the alternating row color, then I think you've done something to change the default theme. For the time being, the only way to fix this is to use appropriate theme settings. For the next release, I'll try adding a preference to enable or disable alternate row colors; that would let people with appropriate themes use them, but allow the second color to be disabled in cases like yours where it doesn't look right.

I think I can control the text color for the rows, but there's no way to easily link it to the "alternating" status of each row; to apply it, I'd basically have to manually change the text color of each cell every time a change is made to the data table (which would hurt performance a little). I suppose a single custom text color applied to all rows would be easier, though.

Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I have a problem with importing an XML.
Found and fixed the bug (an incorrect validation order leads to any filters other than "_allrows" being rejected on import); I think that bug existed even way back in PortaBase 1.9. I'm inclined to save that bugfix for PortaBase 2.1; it doesn't show up in typical usage, it's been around for 6+ years, there's a workaround, and it affects all platforms so I'd need to do a full new set of installers for it. If some more critical bugs get reported, I'll put out a 2.0.1 bugfix release.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
I'm inclined to save that bugfix for PortaBase 2.1; it doesn't show up in typical usage, it's been around for 6+ years, there's a workaround, and it affects all platforms so I'd need to do a full new set of installers for it. If some more critical bugs get reported, I'll put out a 2.0.1 bugfix release.
No worries. i could import the file fine after changing it. some other minor things you might look at:

- I use comma as decimal seperator (regional settings) so i have to type that to create a valid decimal. The default string uses a point. The import function uses a point too (but I don't mind that).

- A small glitch in this screen on the filetype button:
Attached Images