Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@sygys
Define "terrible slow". I have flashed my n900 couple of times and phone app has never been terrible slow to me.

And I can most certainly say (after reading this forum quite a while) that devel & testing and also some extras app might make your phone non responsive. Even official widgets could do that. Search.

Generally saying for example that NO apps could make windows crawl or brake it because if they do itīs microsofts fault has same kind of analogy as you just pointed out. Itīs computer with quite open OS in your hands.

.edit
As little workaround set phone app to be always in landscape mode. See if it helps for you.

Last edited by slender; 2010-08-09 at 18:19.

Originally Posted by sygys View Post
And i indeed think too that the phone app should have 100% priority above everything.
Although perhaps Sygic Maps ought to have a higher priority. I don't want to go the wrong way just because someone phones me up
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

I set my phone app to work in automatic mode. When it is in landscape mode, it comes up quickly and I get the chance to answer the phone without waiting for the interface to rotate.

Also, as a test, put the phone in silent mode to see if the phone app activates faster without having to play the ringtone. I have custom ringtones and eSpeakCaller loaded, so in the General profile a couple of things happen when the phone app is activated. I know my ohone is operating slowly at that time.

My two cents...

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
hmmm, more music and vidz will make the n900 possibly slow?

i thought this is only present in Symbian?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

I agree, it is so unreliable as a phone, I eventually sold it.
I love Maemo though, but iMHO the hardware can't handle the OS very well.
I probably will by the new Meego Device when it hits market, but for now I returned to my trusted E90....

When off, the clock gives the power-on command and boots the N900 when an alarm expires. The OS knows what caused the poe to be booted, sounds and displays the alarm.

It doesn't sound normal tha it would be slow after afresh boot. I can hit the snooze button from underneath the covers in about .1 sec when the alarm goes off n my N900 :-)

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by qw3rty View Post
Happened to me a few times as well. Mostly when I was using the media player. The OS should make receiving calls the absolute priority for the CPU but it doesn't seem like it.

The media player just brings my N900 to its knees. It is incredibly slow, sometimes takes almost a minute to start playing a song and then stutters and skips for the next 5 minutes. And that's when it doesn't just crash. Plus everything else in the device becomes super sluggish. I just can't understand it.
Just did some testing on this:
1. Set the Phone app to Portrait.
2. Play a movie with built in Media Player.

Rang the N900 and found it takes a good 2 to 3 rings onthe phone I'm making the call from, before the N900 even starts ringing or the Phone app even appears, whether it was running in the background or not, due to having rotate to Portrait.

3. If the Camera app is running, its even worse, it sometimes did not manage to bring up the Phone app at all, and resulted in a missed call.

Workaround:
Set the phone app to Landscape, its much faster, almost instant, even while a video is playing.
The downside is that making calls single handed is cumbersome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@Maruzko
Hmm. Does someone use default phone app for searching contacts?

- use desktop shortcuts
- try horizontal call app
- try t9 phone app

But I agree that using phone app in landscape only mode makes it tad faster at least for me.

.edit
Actually this landscape workaround has been here and in bugzilla for months :|

Last edited by slender; 2010-08-26 at 06:00.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
The GSM timeout on "Connect request", then "CON_ACK" when the handset says it will respond to the call, and until it says "READY" and the call can start, is 10 seconds - or the network should detach and return a status "unreachable".
The N900 is dangerously close to these 10 seconds now. It is silly that when the phone is locked in "portrait" mode - no landscape to decide on, but I can see it mess around even in "landscape" and back.

Is it possible to drop all "Transition" when a call or anything else that needs to be responded to? Place everything in Portrait and then the applications that have the option to "rotate automatically".
At the moment, it is crazy - "sensor says it is L, but app says P, open keyboard says L, app says P, ... whooops I have to ring - this says L, and then we have to get rid of this screenlock set L oops - no P no L, display, remove it, now which way L or P?

Heck now the network has resigned and call disconnected.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Then take a look at the Qt Lockscreen.
Is it not terrible how this provides the interface to the media player, email, and "Conversations".

I will set the phone in "Landscape" only - but will not move the earpiece/microphone. These are located the same place on the N9 and all the other phones, so this is a design flaw.

The QT Screenlock is going OUT.