Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Given the seemingly older user base here, you guys should get a kick out of this:

http://koti.welho.com/jkukkone/uqm/

I've already played the PC version and beaten it (as well as the original SC2 back in the early 90's)... but... Star Control ][... on a 770? I'm grinning like stink right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Installed, and it works! I cranked the graphics right up and it's not very playable. I need more time to experiment to see if I can get it right. Given how bad the D-pad is for gaming, I think I may leave ship combat on cyborg and let the game fight for me.

I can't believe nobody else has soiled themselves over this. Star Control 2 is the best game, of all time, ever. Nothing touches it. I remember waking up at 6am on weekends just to boot it through hyperspace and figure out what the hell it was the Ilwrath wanted me to do.

God this game looks like another game I use to play a very loonnnnggg time ago maybe 1985-1988...not sure, but I forgot what it was called. Looks very simular to this one, you explore different planets and gather resources, fight with aliens, or make friends. It came with a large map of space where you can track worm holes and all that stuff. I played it on the Tandy 1000TL. Never got to finish though cause I borrowed it from a friend...I wonder if this is that game....

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ St Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Installed, and it works! I cranked the graphics right up and it's not very playable. I need more time to experiment to see if I can get it right. Given how bad the D-pad is for gaming, I think I may leave ship combat on cyborg and let the game fight for me.

I can't believe nobody else has soiled themselves over this. Star Control 2 is the best game, of all time, ever. Nothing touches it. I remember waking up at 6am on weekends just to boot it through hyperspace and figure out what the hell it was the Ilwrath wanted me to do.
So, no problems installing on a stock 770? Does the sound work without starting from a command line? Let us know if its playable with lower graphic settings!

Thanks for any updates

I haven't launched from the menu so I can't confirm the sound quality is any worse. From the command line with sound quality at the default low it's fine. I turned graphic detail to low and tried it at 640x480 but it was kind of laggy. 320x200 reduces things to the size of a postage stamp, but it's fast... providing you don't care being able to tell which way your ship is facing in combat.

As a work in progress, Super Melee seems doable however when I try to visit a planet it crashes; when the UrQuan drone comes to warn me about approaching Earth, the UrQuan just sits there twitching - - no speech/text.

The RPG isn't playable at all, Super Melee should be providing you can configure it properly. Hats off to this ambitious attempt, best game of all time.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Here's an ur-quan masters wiki
And it's teh awes0me.

ARR

http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/Main_Page

I'm the guy who did the porting/Maemo packaging, hi all.

I haven't launched from the menu so I can't confirm the sound quality is any worse.
The sound problems when starting from menu should now be fixed (thanks to Frantisek Dufka).

I turned graphic detail to low and tried it at 640x480 but it was kind of laggy. 320x200 reduces things to the size of a postage stamp, but it's fast...
There is an option that uses 320x200, but "pixel-doubled" and that should be on by default (can't remember what the mode was called in the game.. )

As a work in progress, Super Melee seems doable however when I try to visit a planet it crashes; when the UrQuan drone comes to warn me about approaching Earth, the UrQuan just sits there twitching - - no speech/text.
Interesting, I had no problems with planet landing or the encounters -- and I played quite a lot farther than just Earth... will have to look into it. The problem is that my 770 is currently in repairs, so testing is a little difficult.

Originally Posted by NokNok770
God this game looks like another game I use to play a very loonnnnggg time ago maybe 1985-1988...not sure, but I forgot what it was called. Looks very simular to this one, you explore different planets and gather resources, fight with aliens, or make friends. It came with a large map of space where you can track worm holes and all that stuff. I played it on the Tandy 1000TL. Never got to finish though cause I borrowed it from a friend...I wonder if this is that game....
Sounds correct, except for the time. Star Control 2 was released in 1992 (the original SC was of course a little earlier, but that had no story so you're probably not remembering it). A magnificent game, years ahead of its time.

Originally Posted by NokNok770
I remember the one you are talking about.... I love google. I remembered 1 word from the game and came up with the title:

Star Flight
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...tarflight.html

Now that was a cool game! Time to go see if I can legally download it for DosBoxer.

David

Edit:

Found it:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=StarFlight

Last edited by djs_tx; 2006-03-10 at 19:52. Reason: Found it for download!

Oh my god..that is it!!!! Star Flight was the game I played. I searched for this game too but I didn't find it....I can't beleive it...I'm going to try and get it too.

Originally Posted by djs_tx
I remember the one you are talking about.... I love google. I remembered 1 word from the game and came up with the title:

Star Flight
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...tarflight.html

Now that was a cool game! Time to go see if I can legally download it for DosBoxer.

David

Edit:

Found it:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=StarFlight