Active Topics

Notices

C++ would be a LOT faster than java. Minecraft would have had no chance to run smoothly on N900's hardware, but with C++ there could actually be something playable, so this is a great idea for a port.

The Following User Says Thank You to JadeH For This Useful Post:
this would be one of the best releases, even better as the so long awaited whazzap ((or whateveritscalled)only my opinion don't get it wrong ).
I hope we can see any developement on this in the near future

Last edited by danzo; 2012-05-01 at 12:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to danzo For This Useful Post:
ok, i was able to start minetest through easy debian but it runs at poor speed (1 fps), but it's possible to run it on n900, it just needs some optimisation ;D

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danzo View Post
ok, i was able to start minetest through easy debian but it runs at poor speed (1 fps), but it's possible to run it on n900, it just needs some optimisation ;D
Good work!

1) How did you compile it and what did you change in Irrlicht's initialization code to make it work?
2) When you say started through Easy Debian, do you mean by using the nested X server Xephyr that running it through the "Debian LXDE" icon in the applications menu makes or by invoking it directly in the debian chroot via xterm (debbie ~/path/to/minetest/bin/minetest)?

The Following User Says Thank You to Applesaws For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Applesaws View Post
Good work!

1) How did you compile it and what did you change in Irrlicht's initialization code to make it work?
2) When you say started through Easy Debian, do you mean by using the nested X server Xephyr that running it through the "Debian LXDE" icon in the applications menu makes or by invoking it directly in the debian chroot via xterm (debbie ~/path/to/minetest/bin/minetest)?
to 1): I found Irrlicht and minetest with all it's depencies precompiled for armel on the debian server.
source: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/minetest
I installed everything manually because the depencies couldn't be installed through apt-get
to 2): first I tried it through lxde, but as I said the performance isn't like it should. then I tried it through chroot via terminal but when it opens the main window it doesn't show anything in it.

ps: sorry if I misled some, but I'm not a developer. But if I am able to help in any way, I am willing to help

The Following User Says Thank You to danzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danzo View Post
to 1): I found Irrlicht and minetest with all it's depencies precompiled for armel on the debian server.
source: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/minetest
I installed everything manually because the depencies couldn't be installed through apt-get
to 2): first I tried it through lxde, but as I said the performance isn't like it should. then I tried it through chroot via terminal but when it opens the main window it doesn't show anything in it.

ps: sorry if I misled some, but I'm not a developer. But if I am able to help in any way, I am willing to help
Oh, I see. Well, we're going to have to compile both Irrlicht and Minetest from source because the Irrlicht in the Debian repos (and thus the Minetest compiled against it in the repos) doesn't have the OpenGL ES renderer enabled (it's in a separate branch of the Irrlicht source tree). Without the OpenGL ES renderer, it has to fall back to the software renderer (which simply isn't practical on our embedded hardware, and that's probably what you were seeing when you ran it in the Debian LXDE).

The Following User Says Thank You to Applesaws For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, minetest