Active Topics

I am new to Maemo Mapper. How do I use N810 Map app (Wayfinder) map tiles in MM so that I don't need an internet connection to plan a route? Aren't they both OpenStreet.db files that are already loaded into my N810?

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Maemo Mapper can use different sources for map and in particular GoogleMaps. Those maps are images.
Wayfinder use vector maps ...
What you can do is use MaemoMapper to download Maps for the area you're interested in while being connected and before being on the road

Yep, different maps altogether. MM can't use the Wayfinder maps, but it's easy to download maps for MM, through MM itself.

Because MM doesn't use vector maps, it cannot plan routes without a connection to the internet either, just FYI.

Basically MM is really just "paint" with different "backgrounds". This is an extraordinarily handy feature, however it makes it pretty awful for in-car navigation.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. So, let's say that I'm going on vacation traveling around Spain. Can I download the whole country in MM street maps before I leave the US so that I can plan routes as I travel without an internet connection? If yes, where would I find these maps to download?

No way to download all the maps u need once and for all, I am afraid, all u can do is to browse and then cache all the region u r going to before u get off. So you can get maps from ur cache while offline. Mind you, Google made a traffic limit for continuous map download from one IP. That's is to say, it's not easy to download even a city. BTW, all the best for ur trip.

Originally Posted by davige View Post
Thanks to everyone for your responses. So, let's say that I'm going on vacation traveling around Spain. Can I download the whole country in MM street maps before I leave the US so that I can plan routes as I travel without an internet connection? If yes, where would I find these maps to download?
Yes, you can. In Maemo Mapper, use the "Manage Maps" menu item in the "Maps" menu. From the resulting dialog, you can bulk download maps by rectangular area (using latitude/longitude coordinates) or along a route.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Yes, you can. In Maemo Mapper, use the "Manage Maps" menu item in the "Maps" menu. From the resulting dialog, you can bulk download maps by rectangular area (using latitude/longitude coordinates) or along a route.
Thanks. I've figured out how to do this and get Google Street area maps. What I can't figure out is how to get an advance route from 'Origin' to 'Destination'. Every time I enter an address or POI I get a message that 'either my origin or destination is invalid'. I've read the help file and tried various formats of entering addresses but every time I get the same error message. I'm trying real hard to like MM and get it to work for me but it's very frustrating. Gnuite, maybe you can help since you are the MM Master.

What are you using for the destination and start? There are radio buttons for Use GPS location, Use end of route, and for inputting an address. If you leave the radio button for one of the others set, you can't put in an address, you're still telling it to use whatever is checked. I think Use end of route is the default, and if you don't already have a route, then you can't use the end of nothing. If you don't have a GPS connected, you can't use that, either. To give it an address, you need to set the bottom button, Origin, and then fill in the address.

I checked the radio button 'Origin' so that I can plan a route on a pre-loaded map without a GPS or internet connection. Also, what's the 'error parsing gpx file'? I tried opening downloaded Google street maps (with winmapper on my pc) and continually get this error. And, MM continually locks up. Can't figure why everyone raves about MM! I have never been more frustrated with an app. I have never been able to do any more than download a route with a GPS & internet connection.

Last edited by davige; 2008-03-04 at 04:19.