Active Topics

I live in pennsylvania in the states. Pinged nokia and got an average of 71ms. Pinged google and got 128ms. Maybe in certain parts of the country is better?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by elieserleao View Post
Your GPS will lock faster if you use SUPL servers (A-GPS)!

A-GPS use cells informations to triangulate your position, and to get coordinates of the cells it will query SUPL servers...

So the property will be "true" if you wanna ALWAYS use SUPL servers (A-GPS) instead of waiting regular-GPS satellites to respond.

Get it?!
Well that's not entrely correct by the facts, though the result will be same.
SUPL (in MSB mode) provides ephemeris and almanac (data about position and trajectory of visible sats etc, needed to calculate your position based on exact sats' position) for the location you're at (+/- a few 100 miles). Usually - without "A"ssited - this data gets downloaded from the GPS sats at a rate of some iirc 50bits per second, taking up to 12:30minutes for one complete set of data to transfer - if you have no reception dropouts during that time.
To get your initial position to request for the right data set, your phone uses different sources like last known position, CountryCode of your GSM/UMTS network (you're 'located' then in center of that country), or even CellID of the GSM cell (tower) you're in. There's however no such thing like "triangulation" for GSM/UMTS. "Normal" SUPL is via internet, no matter if provided by GSM/UMTS or WLAN or even USB-networking/whatever.

What GSM frequently does is: it provides the same AGPS data (Ephem and Alm) via a hidden data channel in the normal network, see the Radio Resource LCS (Location Service) Protocol as specified first in GSM TS 04.31, or http://security.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/RRLP (interesting read! You'll frown at your phone for what it may do on the [hidden] Control Plane Protocol without telling you)

A sidenote: for systematically obscure reasons the N900 SUPL implementation needs a fairly correct time&date on device to work. Even if SUPL needs some time stamp for delivering the right period of Alm/ephem data (instead of a obvious `NOW´), obviously the devels forgot that - when they already have access to internet to get SUPL data from server - they also can get current time by e.g ntp. Not all carriers provide the (correct version of) timestamp on their network that's used by N900 "automatic time adjustment". Probably exactly when they also don't provide CCP AGPS.

/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-07-18 at 13:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
I live in pennsylvania in the states. Pinged nokia and got an average of 71ms. Pinged google and got 128ms. Maybe in certain parts of the country is better?
ping time is completely irrelevant for AGPS
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Originally Posted by Jmenka View Post
Please, can anybody explain how to edit file with configurations in step 3. I just can't change the code
you need nano editor, do you have installed it?

Originally Posted by hugon9 View Post
you need nano editor, do you have installed it?
unless something odd is going on, like nano having some sort of superpowers, no-one _needs_ nano !

Anyone doing anything on a unix-like OS needs (yes) to know vi.

So would y'all stop being so weird

*end rant*

The Following User Says Thank You to LinuxCub For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
I was using since now supl.nokia.com but positioning needs a lot of time.
Now checking with ping to supl.nokia.com, it seems the nokia server is down.

Will see if positioning now it will be faster

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Greater Chicagoland area
Chilango, I have been experiencing the same thing. Of course, that's after I learned that I have to open the Drive app, it sits at the startup screen, swipe it sideways and look at all apps running and watch until it shows a map, then click on it to be the app on the full screen.

I just took a vacation with the family and noticed it took a very long time for maps to come up (and I downloaded the entire country map long ago). I came here to find out what may be wrong and had the same discovery - supl.nokia.com resolves to something else, but gets no ping replies. I left the nokia site as the secondary provider, but now Google is the primary and it comes up quickly.

Thank you (years later) for this find, elieserleao, if you even still check these forums.

Now to find out why my N9 is moving slower in all other apps these days than in the past.

The Following User Says Thank You to RasLikesN9 For This Useful Post: