Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Agreed, but this was NOT what was promised by Nokia in the very beginning.
The current unknown (at least for me) is knowing what we loose by flashing Harmattan with an aegis-free kernel. It is theoretically possible, though I haven't seen a list of what would be broken (probably OVI store, but the swipe UI should work, and Nokia apps maybe).
If we don't loose anything important with custom open kernel, then you just boot with nokia kernel whenever you install anything from OVI, and boot with other kernel the rest of the time.

But we need to know what works and what doesn't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
The current unknown (at least for me) is knowing what we loose by flashing Harmattan with an aegis-free kernel. It is theoretically possible, though I haven't seen a list of what would be broken (probably OVI store, but the swipe UI should work, and Nokia apps maybe).
If we don't loose anything important with custom open kernel, then you just boot with nokia kernel whenever you install anything from OVI, and boot with other kernel the rest of the time.

you'd lose the swype. it's booting into a different OS as you would if you had meego 1.3ce on the n900. (not exactly like it but you get my meaning)

Correction:
just read the latest on the meego forum and you won't lose swype but probably other things will be gone.

Last edited by smegheadz; 2011-10-12 at 13:59.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Agreed, but this was NOT what was promised by Nokia in the very beginning.
I am not sure anymore what was promised. And by whom. And when. What I know is that I have assumed that open mode will be there.

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post

I don't know either. However, to my knowledge Aegis is not related to DRM so I wonder if OVI store (or is it already Nokia Store?) really has to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
you'd lose the swype. it's booting into a different OS as you would if you had meego 1.3ce on the n900. (not exactly like it but you get my meaning)
I'm not talking about MeeGo CE, but about replacing the kernel.
Like MeeGo CE for N900, and Power Kernel for N900 (+ rest of Fremantle).

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Ok, was that a typo or were you suggesting to be litigious? Or were you just trying to make it unclear on purpose.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=sarca...ate=all&sort=0
It was just a typo. 'sued' should have been 'used.'

Originally Posted by 0x4e84 View Post
Congrats!

Nice background, by the way (around the phone)... ;-)
Had to cut most of the background out to make the pic small enough to upload but I was hoping someone would recognise it.

Originally Posted by JohnHughes View Post
Yay! N9 arrived from Danemark today (La Poste obviously much slower than Deutches Bundespost).
Most frequent comment so far - "Is that the new iPhone?"

Wandered off the Orange shop to get a microsim (Too lazy/wimpish to carve my own). First of 2 shops in the mall didn't have any, salesman said "are you sure a Nokia needs one" I reply "You aint never seen a Nokia like this before". Luckily there was a 2nd Orange shop upstairs, kid behind counter was pretty impressed.

Phone works. Internet via 3G works. Mail works.

Start transference data this evening.

Gotta work now. :-(

(Why no sad smiley? I'm not angry).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JohnHughes For This Useful Post:
WTF is "transference data"? Bloody spell chequer.

Transferring data,

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It was just a typo. 'sued' should have been 'used.'
I would like to sue all the Windoze machines I've ever used for damages due to lost productivity.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
Start transference data this evening
Bloody spell chequer.
Your spell checker is definitely letting you down today... ;-)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 0x4e84 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????