Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Estel, I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I think Cordia is a dead-end. I think it is a great project, and it inspires me to think that we may see the ashes of Maemo live on in a modern, open, community-driven device.

I said in my original post, "Is a community centred around the Cordia tablet really a Maemo community?" and I meant that honestly, not discounting the community in any way.

I just don't think the community that forms around the Cordia tablet will be the Maemo community; I think it will still go through a phoenix-like transformation into the "Cordia community".

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
@ Kajko

you still here?
given the moaning N900 = junk posts that you have been so prolific with over the last several months, i would have thought you had moved on long ago.
Last time I checked, there wasn't anyone standing behind me with a gun pointed at my head telling me to keep logging in to the Maemo forum. I could assume that the same goes for you.
opinions are like *****holes, everyone has one and most stink. probably about time you took your smelly one and found a new place for your negativity, we have many others with a much higher post count to replace you.
Congratulations. Enjoy your fantasy world pal !

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If anyone is keeping track of and a headcount of the community, isn't this already happening?

How many significant contributors have already publicly walked away from TMO? What about those who still occasionally post here, but are contributing their time and effort on MeeGo instead?

(Sure, there are some fresh new blood too.. )

But it's simple really: new hardware and software are the fuel for communities like us. Nokia has stopped churning out maemo-based hardware, thus we're running out of target platform.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Woke up to read this qole must have read my post oooer eeerie.

Only 2 options as i see it and that is to either beef up the hardware on the N900 or run as it is for however long the device will function and given the usb port problem it could be repaired to allow the device to go on untill something else breaks but would have to be un-repairable for it to come to the end of it's life.

What happened to the MeeGo adaption for the N900 ? has that project came to a halt or is it still on going?.

One thing that can be looked at and needs probably the best of engineering together is to up the ram, @ 256 it is not enough obviously so any volunteers want to start a thread on this with me?.

I made a suggestion a while ago about getting together to approach a hardware maunufacturer to make an up to date handset so that Maemo could carry on (probably a Chinese company) as obviously it needs a target device (how about the 950 for instance, can Nokia churn out a few more thousand?).

Maybe also it might be worth a last shot at Nokia to release whatever they can especially BME and anything else possible as this community will fizz out eventually if nothing is done that's for sure.

I seen all this long time back along with other members on here and some who get aggresive about it too like Kajko for instance .

Tried to get the ball rolling on something or another but got shouted down by prominent members who basically think for themselves only and stuff anyone else's opinions !!.

IF you want the Maemo community to stay alive it will not come easy as some work will have to happen by it's members.... oh well just my thoughts.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I'm with geneven, and it puzzles me why some flatly refuse to entertain the idea of a return to ITT. It was ITT back when I joined, not NITT (Nokia Internet Tablet Talk). It seems that everyone fails toaccount for the fact that back then, Nokia was the only player in the game.

It was pre-smart phone even (or very nearly so). The idea that you could have a desktop browser experience (with flash), in the palm of your hand, unheard of. And yet, there was a competitors forum, there were projects like Easy Debian, and dual booting Ubuntu, to take it even further than Nokia had dared to dream.

I think that there is a real opportunity to re-invent TMO as ITT, not as NITT, but as FOSSITT. There are plenty of like minded people out there existing on the fringes of other communities, running Ubuntu in chroot, dual-booting native Ubuntu alongside android (on the Asus transformer, a tablet capable of accessing the internet). But most of what they do is lost among the noise of their own communities.

Sure, anyone could start a new community from scratch. Try to gain some members, build some momentum, maybe turn it into something. But why re-invent the wheel? We have a great community with some very talented developers already in place. Why not open the doors to other like minded people trying to open source on non-Nokia devices? If you can dual boot Ubuntu on a Transformer, I'd think MeeGo shouldn't present much of a problem. Shockingly, some of the members of this community have non-Nokia devices! This also means they have ties to other communities. They could help bring in new members to a community re-focused on bringing FOSS to mobile/portable devices regardless of manufacturer or flavor software.

Show a company like Asus that there is a strong thriving community around porting MeeGo to their devices (if you can dual-boot the Transformer, I'll bet the upcoming Slider won't be far behind), and I bet they start considering, if not MeeGo, at least encouraging development through open bootloaders/better drivers, etc. Note that HTC is already encouraging development by leaving bootloaders unlocked. Other manufacturers might decide they'd like the publicity and extra sales such a community could bring.

Or, show those same manufacturers a community slowly dying due to lack of hardware. A platform with few sales, no ecosystem, no manufacturers willing to risk investing. (Seems like I should be able to think of a similar example of that) Maemo is nearly dead, MeeGo is withering on the vine, soon to have sales figures to backup how bad a risk it is. A community that is slowly shedding members isn't exactly going to inspire confidence, even in a manufacturer looking to re-invent itself, or move in a new direction.

But a growing community, with a growing ecosystem, and multiple devices (perhaps even from multiple vendors), well that might be worth looking at. But that won't happen (at least not here), if we want to wait another year and a half and argue where MeeGo fits into Maemo, or whether Maemo should transition to MeeGo.

We have talent, experience, and a community ready made. Open the doors a little wider, and while MeeGo might not be the main focus of the new community, it would at least be a thriving subset of a larger community that shares similar goals. And be able to point to Maemo and say this is what we grew from, this is our history.

geneven, if I've put any words in your mouth I apologize.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
If I win a 10 billion dollar lotto next week, I'll make a brand called Mokia and make a phone called M900 with following:

- 4.5" HD AMOLED Capacitive (people will argue on this)
- Full mappable qwerty keyboard as good or better than N900's
- 2GB RAM
- 1.5GHz Dual core Cortex A9 with SGX543MP4 GPU
- 128GB builtin + MicroSD
- 2 x MicroUSB ports with USB OTG support and HDMI output (Dual Monitor!)
- Some awesome OS. Super charged Maemo5 I guess.
- I'll market it as an iPhone5 toilet-flusher. The bully of all phones!
- Umm. What am I saying???

Anyways. This community and this forum was AWESOME and still is since I joined back in 2009. N900 is a device I will never forget. Heck, it is still my main everyday device and I've owned many of top phones out right now.

It's soooooo sad that no company is trying to make a phone like the N900 now. World is about money. Not about making good devices. Until the world changes, this will always be the way things end up.

Where can I buy a brand new never-opened boxed N900 so I can vacuum seal it and keep it for a LONG time? hmmm.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
It's late, so I'll be brief. I owned an N6230 for over 6 years before I moved to the N900. Before that I had another device (Motorola based) for nearly 4 years. I don't see the N900 failing on me any time soon hardware wise, and can easily see it still being my main device for at least a few years to come. After that, it may turn into a mini web server or a point node, or a web camera, or... who knows. But I don't see it going away, any more than my Toshiba Point150 has gone away, being a very nice digital picture frame on my wall (that can also control my home lighting and alarm system).

I think several people are right in thinking there's still a lot of life left for the N900 as a primary device. But enough to sustain all of t.m.o? No.

I do think it could easily go back to being ITT, and expand out to include new tablets. They're catching on like wild fire these days. The question is, does anyone here want to keep it going? I can't speak for anyone, but something tells me that the original folks who started it are probably tired of running things by now. That happens...

The question really is, what level of commitment are those still here looking to put into this? Is there someone here willing to pick up the banner and run with it? And will that person, or group of people, have enough support to keep things going long enough to make it to the next crest in the cycle?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Sure, anyone could start a new community from scratch. Try to gain some members, build some momentum, maybe turn it into something. But why re-invent the wheel? We have a great community with some very talented developers already in place.
Please don't get me wrong: I'm not opposed to a return to ITT at all. But that's up to Reggie. IMO the mechanics are simple: after Nokia elects not to fund *.maemo.org further, Reggie can uncouple the merger that a few disliked. Turn off the ITT redirect. No big deal at all. Who ever wants to stay can stay-- but again, it's Reggie's domain, so his engagement is the starting place.

EDIT: note that the community != forum.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-08-16 at 06:13.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
if n900 is going down.. so be it.

but wp7. is failing with it.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
What happened to the MeeGo adaption for the N900 ? has that project came to a halt or is it still on going?.
Hardware adaptation is still ongoing, which even Cordia needs to function on N900. There is also UI work ongoing based on the original Handset UX.

Current activities as per their (Adaptation, not UI) last meeting:
* MeeGo 1.3 work, Wayland support
* Working on forward porting N900 patches to Linux kernel 3.0.0 and above to make it easier for people to maintain a working upstream kernel for N900
* Working on making closed source binaries maintainable over the long term

Hardware support is really good by now, power management working, (A)GPS, etc. http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Status

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)