So I was thinking about what the next gen of gadgets should be like the other day. I was trying to decide who I really thought was doing things right in this space now and who was off base.

This was sparked by the poll started by benny1967 about what the NIT’s real competitor is, but didn’t want to threadjack.

If I had the resources, my perfect device would be (please note, I am not totally technically savvy, so please don’t pick me apart for WANTING this if you don’t believe it is “buildable”):
- Form factor like the n810, Aigo MID, or even Wibrain devices
- CPU that will allow you to efficiently run portable apps.
- Sufficient RAM to handle portable tasks
- Wifi and cellular data
- GPS capability
- SSD Drive

Here’s where my dream device gets tricky. It would have a docking station that includes:
- More RAM
- Video Card
- Possible second CPU?
- Full Resolution Video Out to Monitor
- Mass Storage

So essentially, this device would handle all but the most resource hungry gaming. It’s truly portable/pocketable, but scalable to a full desktop environment. One device that handles all you need.

Am I off base here? Is this something that could feasibly be built?

Last edited by maxinflixion; 2008-09-23 at 15:42.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
Well, first thing's first. The Atom really sucks for portability on an electricity budget. SSD is kinda pointless for a portable device, honestly. Just solder some chips on the board. Cheaper and easier.

The problem with putting all that junk into the docking station is gonna be bandwidth. There really isn't enough of it over a docking connector to make it work with the RAM, second CPU and video card.

Honestly, what you're really after is a decently powered tablet device that can hook up to a screen and keyboard without issue.

Soooo, N900 + DVI.

Here’s where my dream device gets tricky. It would have a docking station that includes:
- More RAM
- Video Card
- Possible second CPU?
Is there a reason why you want an Atom, a second CPU and a video card? Especially the second CPU?
Or are you just after some more power than the current generation?
My solution wouldn't be to try to stick desktop hardware into a handheld, but rather go with a OMAP 3x or a NVIDIA Tegra etc.
They won't play Crysis, but they will play Doom and Quake 3.
And then in two years, maybe we get to play Crysis (if they open up the source).
Handhelds will always lack a few years after desktops, it's easier to make something big, hot and power hungry first, and then tone it down.

My biggest issue with the current (and next generation) devices is the lack of a good dockingstation with DVI and VGA out.
I recently abandoned my desktop PC for a Laptop + Dockingstation solution, and we are rapidly approaching a situation in which a small handheld could serve most of my basic computing needs. The TI OMAP 3 series isn't quite there, since i would need 1920x1200 resolution, but i hope that in 2-3 years this will be possible.

Bye,
NsN

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
<snip>
- Form factor like the n810, Aigo MID, or even Wibrain devices
<snip>
Naw, throw away that form factor and get something like the Readius polymervision 3GSM .
PLEASE use the Wiki

I guess you didn't read the paranthetical part GA .

Just kidding. As stated, I am less of a designer and more of a dreamer, so let's hone the idea a bit.

- Atom processor is not a must, but it needs to be sufficient to AT least be able to encode video when docked.
- SSD can certainly be thrown out for soldered chips. Bulk of storage would be docked anyway.
- I am not buying the bandwidth issue as far as docking goes. In this instance, the docking station would have all the oomph, opposite of what a laptop docking station is like.

BUT, I like your summation. Just not sure the n900 will have enough power.

Last edited by maxinflixion; 2008-09-23 at 15:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxinflixion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
That's a novel idea, put the main power CPU in the docking station.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by No Such Nick View Post
My solution wouldn't be to try to stick desktop hardware into a handheld, but rather go with a OMAP 3x or a NVIDIA Tegra etc.
Why Tegra? It's a slower CPU than the OMAP3 with absolutely no Linux support. . . .

I guess you didn't read the paranthetical part GA .
These two statements don't seem to jive with each other, so I went with the second one figuring you had changed your mind:

(please note, I am not totally technically savvy, so please don’t pick me apart for WANTING this if you don’t believe it is “buildable”):

- I am not buying the bandwidth issue as far as docking goes. In this instance, the docking station would have all the oomph, opposite of what a laptop docking station is like.
Then you don't understand exactly how much data is pushed around between CPUs, RAM, and video cards.

Is there a reason why you want an Atom, a second CPU and a video card? Especially the second CPU?
Or are you just after some more power than the current generation?
Doesn't NEED to be an ATOM (remind me to edit the original post on this line item). Just whatever the new mobile CPU is.

Video card would be to aid in gaming (no, not Crysis level gaming) and also video encoding/decoding. Also allow scaling to larger monitors with high resolution.

Second CPU is not necessarily needed, but my idea is that this would be a portable device that scaled, so if we're doing so, why not allow it to handle more when it is docked?

HA!

Wasn't trying to pick a fight General. Your comments are appreciated.

Trying to think outside the box here.

@ maxinflixion, I like your ideas and I think the key to getting a N8xx to "dock" to a more powerful computer is to make it more than the current solution of "syncing" but where the N800 is the master boot record/hard drive for the docking stations and more powerful docking cpu picks up the CPU, video, sound, etc. where the N8xx left off. To make it seamless though would be the goal so that you just dock the N800 and its screen pops up on the big screen with the more powerful computer running the show.

I have also heard rumors about laptops getting a video screen mouse pad. What if you applied that to where the "mousepad" (much bigger than current ones) was removable from the laptop and functioned like a N8xx and then when it was docked it was the mousepad / second screen?