Active Topics

Notices

Today I'm pleased to announce the release of Quick Clip 0.4.1-1. What is Quick Clip? Quick Clip is the combination of a statusbar plug-in and text viewing application specifically designed for the Maemo platform. The statusbar plugin allows you to "clip" highlighted, or enter text directly, into a plain text file for later reference. While the text viewer easily allows you to read and/or access data you've already clipped.

New features in this release are:

* Added Clear submenu item
* Added Delete submenu item
* Switched to XML for target file list storage
* Switched storage location for user files
* Major code cleanup
* Fixed Open Bug
* Fixed preinst script
* Renamed Open Settings button to Browse
* QCV: Changed preference warning to bold
* QCV: Added application menu
* QCV: Fixed bug in scrolling choice
* QCV: Added Select All option
* QCV: Added Right/Left buttons for flipping through clippings
* QCV: Added Properties submenu item
* QCV: Added Help menu item
* QCV: Mapped the +/- keys to increase/decrease font size
* QCV: Mapped the Up/Down D-Pad keys to scrolling (only for GTK)
* QCV: Changed Title (more path visible)
* QCV: Major code cleanup

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-04-18 at 02:50.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
What's new in 0.4.1 vs. 0.4.0?

I fixed the install script and a bug in the settings dialog; other than that, not much!

The main difference is, is that I feel 0.4.x is stable, so it's promoted to Extras and not just Extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Ok, thanks .

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ shanghai , China
It's a great one and Love to use it all the time !!! Thanks for the excellent job !!!

The Following User Says Thank You to deter3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I finally installed 0.4 and converted my previous files. Wow, Quick Clip gets better and better!

You know how I wanted you to have a Find function that would search all the Quick Clip files at once? Forget it! The combination of being able easily to move through the files with the taskbar Right/Left buttons and the fact that the Find box remains in place when you switch files, obviated the need altogether. Your solution is even better than searching all at once.

A couple new little wishes:

I'd prefer if Find didn't care about capitalization. As it is now, searching for "orange" will not find "Orange" and I'm not consistent in capitalization (and I suppose it also wouldn't find "orange" if it were capitalized intentionally as the first word in a sentence).

I know that Quick Clip Viewer isn't intended for editing, but I wish that I could delete within it. Sometimes I save webpage articles that come along with all the excess stuff, like links to elsewhere, that I wish I could get rid of while in QCV. Also, I have a file that I like to delete all of each time I leave it. (I use it just for reading text from webpages that don't reflow well or are hard to read for some other reason, like bad choice of background color.)

Once again, great improvements, thanks!

I know this might sound silly, but could you add a "clipboard" mode for this, where your tool acts just like the Klipper clipboard utility does in KDE3.5? That would be something that'd be more useful to me than what you have here. I can still see uses for this tool, but having the ability to have a Klipper like clipboard tool would be best.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I finally installed 0.4 and converted my previous files. Wow, Quick Clip gets better and better!

You know how I wanted you to have a Find function that would search all the Quick Clip files at once? Forget it! The combination of being able easily to move through the files with the taskbar Right/Left buttons and the fact that the Find box remains in place when you switch files, obviated the need altogether. Your solution is even better than searching all at once.
Great!

A couple new little wishes:

I'd prefer if Find didn't care about capitalization. As it is now, searching for "orange" will not find "Orange" and I'm not consistent in capitalization (and I suppose it also wouldn't find "orange" if it were capitalized intentionally as the first word in a sentence).
Truth be told, my find function is loosely based on Khertan's PyGTKEditor and it's find function (with a few major improvements), and that is just how his worked.

Myself, I would like Find to be able to search for text with special characters, spaces, and optional case-sensitivity, but... Right now the searching is like 30 lines of code (most of them responsible for highlighting matched strings, etc.) and implementing a robust search tool would probably take several hundred (I'm guessing, but Leafpad's search code is larger than all of Quick Clip!).

I know that Quick Clip Viewer isn't intended for editing, but I wish that I could delete within it. Sometimes I save webpage articles that come along with all the excess stuff, like links to elsewhere, that I wish I could get rid of while in QCV. Also, I have a file that I like to delete all of each time I leave it. (I use it just for reading text from webpages that don't reflow well or are hard to read for some other reason, like bad choice of background color.)

Once again, great improvements, thanks!
As for #1 I'm leaving QCV a viewer for now.

#2, that's why I added Clear and Delete menu items in QC; specifically for those type of use-cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
I know this might sound silly, but could you add a "clipboard" mode for this, where your tool acts just like the Klipper clipboard utility does in KDE3.5? That would be something that'd be more useful to me than what you have here. I can still see uses for this tool, but having the ability to have a Klipper like clipboard tool would be best.
Don't know exactly how Klipper works (even though I occasionally use KDE4), but that doesn't seem that difficult to implement.

I'll think about it.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I'm just guessing, but my guess is that making the Find function capitalization-agnostic would not take much. I'm not suggesting (like you are!) optional case sensitivity (let alone special characters, etc.); I'd just like it to find all of the asked for letters, regardless of whether they are capitalized or not. ABC = aBc = abc =Abc. My uneducated guess is that there is a way that you tell tell the program that a=A and b=B. Maybe it's based on ASCII (English) lower-case letters all being the-same-number-as-its-matching-uppercase-letter-plus-32. It must be a very common little function since you can enter any assortment of caps and small letters in an email address or a URL and it is treated as if it were all lower-case. (www.goOGlE.coM = www.google.com)

Tags
development, python, quick clip