Notices

I installed vncviewer x11vnc on my n900. Now i want to controll my laptop (winXP) with it. Therefore I probably have to install a vnc server on my laptop, right? What software should I preferably use? Is there a manual, how to set-up and configure the vnc-server?

I already got an SSH connection working between N900 (openssh) and Laptop (cygwin). Does that help?

i wish someone can explain how to do it cuz i install vnc server to my laptop and i dont know how to connect

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
It's pretty simple to get working. Go to:

http://www.realvnc.com/support/index.html

Do some reading of the documentation and FAQ for yourself. If you still have questions or problems, come back here and use the search function. If you still have questions or problems, than ask a more specific question or give details of your problem.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by plutonium239 View Post
I installed vncviewer x11vnc on my n900. Now i want to controll my laptop (winXP) with it.
x11vnc is the vnc server for the tablet, you don't need it if you want to control your laptop.

for that, get a vnc-server like tightvnc or realvnc, install it on your laptop, set up a password, and add the tablet to the list of allowed hosts (plenty of documentation for that available on the net).
then you fire up vncviewer on the tablet and connect to <your_laptops_ip>:0 (f.ex. 192.168.1.100:0)

":0" describes the screen you want to connect to, under *nix it's not uncommon to have several X Servers running, which would be adressed by :1, :2 and so on, but under windows there's usually only one, hence ":0".

for the other way round (controlling / viewing your N900's desktop from your laptop), it's basically the same.
you just fire up x11vnc on the tablet (the default setting is without password, and to close after one session, so you have to start x11vnc every time you want to connect, unless you set it up to start automatically, but then you also want a password, and it gets a bit more involved).
then use vncviewer on your laptop to connect to <N900_ip>:0, et voilą!

i use this regularly for sending SMS, works great!

for all of this to work, the laptop and the tablet have to be in the same network, of course! won't work over 3G.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I'm using TightVNC Server. It works great!

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
x11vnc is the vnc server for the tablet, you don't need it if you want to control your laptop.

for that, get a vnc-server like tightvnc or realvnc, install it on your laptop, set up a password, and add the tablet to the list of allowed hosts (plenty of documentation for that available on the net).
then you fire up vncviewer on the tablet and connect to <your_laptops_ip>:0 (f.ex. 192.168.1.100:0)
Got that. Working this way greatly. Thx!

for the other way round (controlling / viewing your N900's desktop from your laptop), it's basically the same.
you just fire up x11vnc on the tablet (the default setting is without password, and to close after one session, so you have to start x11vnc every time you want to connect, unless you set it up to start automatically, but then you also want a password, and it gets a bit more involved).
then use vncviewer on your laptop to connect to <N900_ip>:0, et voilą!
Here the promblems start! How do i fire up x11vnc? It is installed and I see its icon in the application list. Clicking on it open a new window with nothing, not even an X to close it. As soon as I tab out it disappeares as if I would have closed it.
Do I have to launch it from the Terminal? If so, how do I do that?

work great
how to do right click in mouse if i use my n900 to controll my pc?

Originally Posted by plutonium239 View Post
Clicking on it open a new window with nothing, not even an X to close it. As soon as I tab out it disappeares as if I would have closed it.
did you try to connect afterwards with vncviewer from your laptop?

the window doesn't matter, once you start x11vnc from the menu, the daemon is running (it doesn't have a gui). it will stay alive until the first session disconnects, and doesn't have a password.
i find that reasonably secure, you start it from the menu right before you connect, and it's gone when you're done.

@alquorsan
right-click isn't supported at the moment, i'm afraid.
there should be a way to solve this using X11 keymaps, but i don't know how to do it exactly yet.

Last edited by SubCore; 2010-01-01 at 03:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
@alquorsan
right-click isn't supported at the moment, i'm afraid.
there should be a way to solve this using X11 keymaps, but i don't know how to do it exactly yet.
the new version of vncviewer, updated sometime last week, now supports right-click.
it works as in previous versions: hold the right volume button and tap on screen -> right-click!

Hi,

I'm using RealVNC on my laptop and when I start the server on my laptop and try connecting to it through my N900, it gets connected without asking fr any password authentication(though i hv set one) and also I get to see on black screen on the display instead of my desktop .
Any idea what the reason for it might be ?

Regards
Vivek