Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Linux isn't a success already?
It's highly doubtful I could answer for (or like) Mikecomputing, but as it stands Linux is a success but it's not an universal success. Servers, embedded systems... it's tops. Mobile and desktop, too many aborted attempts and not enough push into the mainstream - this is ignoring the entire argument that Android is Linux. Include Android... mobile is also a success.

But as far as I stand, Linux is a success almost universally.

Wow, I didn't realise that. Desktop sales are contracting rapidly...
Eroding desktop sales have not swayed the ever-stated "year of Linux desktop" mantra that's now never really going to ever come.

it's a good job for Microsoft there isn't a successful Linux based mobile platform or else they'd really be on a sticky wicket.
Android? (now I'm playing devil's advocate)

Within the last few weeks (as a result of Steam OS being announced) NVidia have announced they'll offer technical advice to the developers of the Nouveau drivers. I'm sure most FOSS supporters would prefer that approach.
I bet Richard Stallman has a sign that says Nvidia Eats Babies somewhere. I know he dislikes ATI too.

Last edited by gerbick; 2013-10-22 at 19:14.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Linux isn't a success already? Wow, I didn't realise that.
I will declare Linux a success the day I walk in to PC World and buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed off the shelf.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

Within the last few weeks (as a result of Steam OS being announced) NVidia have announced they'll offer technical advice to the developers of the Nouveau drivers. I'm sure most FOSS supporters would prefer that approach.
Now that does not help when Microsoft STILL has the money to buy the full specifications or even HW companys....

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Android? (now I'm playing devil's advocate)
Maybe I should have added a </SARCASM> tag . I know it's the lowest form of wit but I do so enjoy it.

Hopefully, now Cyanogenmod is a company I can have Android without having to have Google's 'services'.

I bought a Huawei Y300 as a cheap stop gap until Ubuntu, Tizen and Jolla hit the market. Two days ago it was announced there is now a custom ROM for it. I just need some free time to have a go at installing it. The phone was so inexpensive I wont lose any sleep if i brick it either.

I'm pretty chuffed about it because I feel like Google are harrassing me; my phone keeps notifying me there are updates for Google's 'services' and asking my permission to install them. I don't want to grant the permission so it just keeps notifying me over and over and over again. I couldn't uninstall the 'services' and I couldn't make Google f**k off either. Now maybe I can.

@Switch

I was going to play the ... what really ... <sarcasm/extra sarcasm> tag.

:-)

@Pichlo

I just noticed PC World selling Chrome books, glad to see them selling a Linux based OS at last.

rgds

Chromebook doesn't count. Netbooks are good for emailing or uploading my CV, but not for writing it in the first place.

@Pichlo

You set the rules, perhaps with Google Drive it might be possible to create a CV?

I dunno, what do you think?

rgds

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Chromebook doesn't count. Netbooks are good for emailing or uploading my CV, but not for writing it in the first place.
Ah well.. now you're splitting hairs and splitting what's left of those hairs to make rules that fit the outcome you want instead of the challenge you set out to prove in the first place. I would argue that the Chromebooks are competing directly with Windows laptops. They might not be there yet--but they're competing and they easily meet your original criteria. Available terminal to Linux and all.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Ah well.. now you're splitting hairs
Actually, I'm not. I am merely venting my frustration. I just recently bought a new laptop (a proper one, not a netbook!) and discovered to my surprise and dismay that the same HW spec with Windows comes out cheaper*) than without. In other words, Microsoft Tax™ is negative!

*) Not from the same seller.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hellooo haters. Nokia made profit, and sales increased by 20%!! Go Noki!!!!

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha