Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
One option to have VNC viewer is to install Easy Debian on Nokia N9/N950. See the HarmChom topic and the how-to-install using Inception (instead of open kernel).

As root in debian, install ssvncviewer (my choice over 10 vnc viewers that I tested, it allows typing the password using MeeGo Terminal, has many options including full-screen, etc) :
[root@chroot: /]apt-get install ssvncviewer

To use without a real keyboard (on N950 or external Bluetooth on N9), fitting the remote screen to N9 screen :
[root@chroot: /] ssvncviewer -fullscreen -scale "854x480" <ip>

With a real keyboard (on N950 or external Bluetooth on N9), there are many keyboard shortcuts : arrows, home/end, page up/down to move, etc (see "ssvncviewer --help" for more information). Here in view only mode :
[root@chroot: /] ssvncviewer -fullscreen -viewonly <ip>
or choosing the parameters and options from GUI :
root@chroot: /] ssvnc
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-04-07 at 02:58. Reason: ssvnc comment

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Edit : the procedure below breaks (red "!" icon appears) about dozen Harmattan softwares (Nokia Store, Nokia Maps, etc) and also some 3rd-party softwares. It is due to replacing libgcrypt11 !

I have had to download the Harmattan libgcrypt11 and install it @ N9 with dpkg.real -i.

As soon as the original libgcrypt11 was installed again, all icons returned to normal and the softwares are working.

===========================================

PresenceVNC running on Nokia N9 ! With Harmattan virtual keyboard, touch scrolling with 2 fingers, etc.

Only issue : PresenceVNC on Nokia N9 is not in full screen.

And I am not sure using libgcrypt11 from debian armel is safe. For the moment, my N9 works, booted ok, etc.

I have downloaded from rzr's repository the files below installed with dpkg, except debian armel libgcrypt11 v1.4.5 :
# dpkg -i libtasn1-3_1.4-1_armel.deb
# dpkg.real -i install libgcrypt11_1.4.5-2_armel.deb
# dpkg -i --force-all libgnutls26_2.4.2-6_armel.deb
# dpkg -i --force-all libvncserver0_0.9.8.2-2_armel.deb
# dpkg -i presencevnc_0.0.0-0~rzr1_armel.deb
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-03-24 at 13:23. Reason: Do not work !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
looks like rzr repos presencevnc has some conflicting depencies that it doesn't need. I compiled package in sb and it seems to install & work without conflicts.
Attached Files
File Type: deb presencevnc_0.8_armel.deb (143.6 KB, 806 views)

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-04-20 at 07:13. Reason: Updated deb pacakage to have desktop file in right path.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
HOLY CRAP!!! We finally have a great VNC viewer on the N9!!!

This is awesome! Thank you so much!!!

It still needs a .desktop file and an icon so we can launch it from the home screen, but forget that. IT WORKS!!!

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Whoops, my mistake.

Looks like this .deb file does have an icon for the home screen. It just unpacks to /usr/share/applications/hildon as if it was a Maemo package.

Move the /usr/share/applications/hildon/presencevnc.desktop file to /usr/share/applications after installation and the icon will show up just fine on the N9.

Another oddity is that that app (which only appears to work in landscape) disables the swipe UI while in the initial connection dialog screen.

Once a VNC session starts, you can swipe again. And you can always tap on File -> Quit to exit the app as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
@Rainisto thanks !

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
updated my attachement to have desktop file in right path.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
updated my attachement to have desktop file in right path.
Thanks 10^6 times ! I really need to use VNC viewer @ my N900 & N9 everyday.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I want to say thank to Rainisto and rcolistete.
On the other hand, please make vitual keyboard on N9 active after remote to computer. N9 don't have physical keyboard like N900 or N950.