Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
So this is interesting the Google Cloud Music service is going to be launched/announced today, and I was thinking of ways it could be incorporated into the N900 and more importantly into it's media player for use with the transmitter.

Basically the jist of the Google Music service is that you will be able to upload up to 20,000 of your own songs to the cloud based service and then stream it via the web to your portable devices, it says as long as the device is Flash capable.

This could be an interesting cloud based service to be used in conjuction with the N900 and definitely save on storage space on our devices.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Cool idea in a world where 3G connection is free and reliable. But I imagine this google cloud music service would be best in an office/home type environment where you can take your music with you.

32GB (+8GB SD card) is enough for me and i'm already bored with my 4,000 songs. It would be far more interesting if you could listen to your friends collections on the go and share songs easily.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
I really don't get the point of these cloud servers... Everyone is using a firewall to make sure no evil corporations/persons can get to their files, and yet, everyone is throwing their personal stuff online!?
And besides, theres 32 GB in the N900, thats more than 2000 musicfiles. Isnt that enough? thats over a hundred hours of music...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XiliX For This Useful Post:
agree much with what you say but music-specific cloud services seem to far less harmful

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lima-Peru
it could work as dropbox

it would be interesting to see what programers can do with it now.

Have my N900 since 2010 and still is my main phone!

I'm Making money viewing Ads Here Now making money to donate to the forum

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
I find just stupid to have my music on the cloud when mobile phones nowadays got more and more 'disk' space.

Also, as someone said, 3G is not free.

I think docs on the cloud is a good idea because I could *need* a file somewhere I do not have my work computer (for example).

But I don't think I could *need* a song to listen anywhere. And if that is the case, 99% of the times I'll just find it on youtube.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
@Rootage,
Thats true, but bare with me:
If all mobile phone users will use a cloud for their music, and everyone is constantly streaming music from a 3G network, can you imagine the load on those networks? It will be choked before one can spell "not working anymore". The result being that no-one will be able to use the network for the main purpose: calling, or worse, emergency calls...
Than comes the solution: expanding the network capacity. But that will result in people complaining about radiation and cancer and that crap, so that will not (easily) happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to XiliX For This Useful Post:
So besides all that any one planning on seeing if we can tap into it, I have the invite and have been using it on my pc's and via MicroB(takes a while to load works ok). An app would be cool, my 32gig is taken up by movies.

i have 32gb+16gb and i still have plenty of space. i'm also using some flac files.

if google music supports flac then it could be usable for me otherwise i dont see the need.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
what good is flac if the stream is some other codec? Doubt it has flac via the browser...