Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
But they've been known to ride on technology/standards that they think are taking off and leaving things that are on the way out.
I hardly think Apple left out the ability to share files via bluetooth because they thought it was "on the way out". If anything people are just discovering that such things are possible, and the bluetooth is useful for more than just audio.

How familiar are you of the iPhone's flashing procedure?
What little I've read on it (which is not much) seems to indicate that you have to have the iPhone in a semi-working state to flash a new OS to it. With the N900 there's a clear way to hold down one key ('u') while powering it up, plugged into a USB port, and you can always flash it that way. The iPhone, last I checked was not flashable from a dead stop. If a method has been found to do that, bravo, but Apple didn't tell you how, and it may or may not be supported in all or future revisions of the device's hardware or software.

All that said, when the new iPhone 4 comes out, do you think you'll be able to just plug it in and upload new firmware to it? Or use your non-approved apps on it right away? No. Someone else has to do the work of breaking into it and providing that "trivial" way to break it. With the N900 you can do that right out of the box, as documented in the manual that comes with the device. I call that a key difference.

Yes, companies can change their policy to screw you. (read below)
Have you read about the SMS auto-registration that's done by N900?
That's hardly the same thing, and you know it. Frankly, I was already subscribed to the OVI chat app, so no SMS was sent from my device. Did that SMS magically tell them that you'd broken the warranty on your device by installing a root kit? No. Could they send a signal out to deactivate your device because of that change, and legally get away with it based on their EULA? No. Apple could probably make the case for doing so with rooted iPhones though. And if they choose to, do you think you'll be able to reflash your device then? And re-activate it?

This sounds like FUD to me.
Call it that if you want, but by the letter, what I'm saying it true. If you jailbreak your iPhone, you're voiding the warranty and breaking the terms of the EULA you agreed to when you activated it. That's not the case with the N900. With one you're taking a risk, the other you are not.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
PS where is the freedom in Nokias closed binaries ????

So Apple can use the codes without the court?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I hardly think Apple left out the ability to share files via bluetooth because they thought it was "on the way out". If anything people are just discovering that such things are possible, and the bluetooth is useful for more than just audio.
In terms of OBEX file profile support, I think they just choose not to implement\license it to maintain 'sanity' within their control scheme. Maybe they had problem implementing BT send/receive support within their sandboxed apps sturcture.

PLUS, it's dog slow anyway.

...jailbreaking...
Yes, there's been a reliable way to flash the firmware since early on afaik. The cases of 'bricked' iphones that I remember was from an early fraudster that rebranded a free jailbreaking tool and tried to make money off it.

All that said, when the new iPhone 4 comes out, do you think you'll be able to just plug it in and upload new firmware to it? Or use your non-approved apps on it right away? No. Someone else has to do the work of breaking into it and providing that "trivial" way to break it. With the N900 you can do that right out of the box, as documented in the manual that comes with the device. I call that a key difference.
Yes, that is correct.
At this point there is already a workable jailbreak method for iPhone 4; so it's likely to be released at the same time as the official iOS4.

That's hardly the same thing, and you know it. Frankly, I was already subscribed to the OVI chat app, so no SMS was sent from my device. Did that SMS magically tell them that you'd broken the warranty on your device by installing a root kit? No. Could they send a signal out to deactivate your device because of that change, and legally get away with it based on their EULA? No. Apple could probably make the case for doing so with rooted iPhones though. And if they choose to, do you think you'll be able to reflash your device then? And re-activate it?
Those are possible, yes.

Call it that if you want, but by the letter, what I'm saying it true. If you jailbreak your iPhone, you're voiding the warranty and breaking the terms of the EULA you agreed to when you activated it. That's not the case with the N900. With one you're taking a risk, the other you are not.
Yes, but most people generally never think twice about that. Look at the overclocking thread here. It's one of those case of clearly weighted benefit:risk.

I just find that argument.. not so.. uh... genuine, coming from this community. but, sure.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
If you don't want to play by Apple's rules then don't use the Apple device.
Ah, so if my band doesn't buy Apple devices, then everyone else can share our MP3s? Wrong. Apple's rules still prevent my band from sharing our music regardless of if we purchase from them or not.

There is no mechanism to determine what is legal or illegal. The iPhone can't suddenly decide to transfer your band's music and not transfer something bought from the iTunes store.
So instead it assume everyone is a criminal, and that every transfer (except the ones from iTunes) is illegal. But wait... there clearly is a mechanism it uses to determine that what iTunes is doing is legal. Why can't it use that?

My old Nokia 6230 from 5+ years ago could do this. I could copy anything on the device, and most things off of it. It would let me copy mp3s I copied on or pushed to it back off. But the copyrighted tones and images I got from the Nokia store would never copy off the device...

Also, I think it is hilarious that jailbreaking is oh-so-bad and overclocking is oh-so-good. They both void the warranty.

As you say, "I can do whatever with my device"
Where in this thread have I said overclocking is good? Stop putting words in my mouth. You're just trying to change the topic to one you think will suit you better. (It won't btw, since overclocking is yet another feature you can't do with the iPhone, even if you jailbreak it.)

Every time anyone say something negative about the iPhone, the default answer is "OH, you can do X if you jailbreak it." I've yet to hear of one feature that requires you to overclock the N900.

Fact of the matter is iPhoniee fanboys would have you believe that jailbreaking a device is a-OK and everyone is doing it. Reality is that few are actually jailbreaking it, and it's not all roses and wine when you do. And if you do it, to get any of those features that the N900 can do without overclocking or breaking the warranty in any way, on the iPhone, you void your warranty.

I just find that argument.. not so.. uh... genuine, coming from this community. but, sure.
I feel the same about the iCommunity saying our device being "open" is unimportant, but then constantly touting how to break into their device to make it more open to do just about anything at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Ah, so if my band doesn't buy Apple devices, then everyone else can share our MP3s? Wrong. Apple's rules still prevent my band from sharing our music regardless of if we purchase from them or not..
*facepalm*

You missed my point. If you dislike, Apple's way of doing things then don't use the device. The rules are there and they are not changing anytime soon. You, as a consumer, have the right to choose.

If your band puts the music in the itunes store and offers it for free then maybe you could reach out to Apple users.

My old Nokia 6230 from 5+ years ago could do this. I could copy anything on the device, and most things off of it. It would let me copy mp3s I copied on or pushed to it back off. But the copyrighted tones and images I got from the Nokia store would never copy off the device...
Not the same thing. You couldn't delete the stock images and ringtones either. With your old 6230, you could illegally distribute music too.

It is better to be safe than sorry. the iPhone =/= 6230. At the moment, there is no way to prevent sharing of music illegally.

Where in this thread have I said overclocking is good? Stop putting words in my mouth. You're just trying to change the topic to one you think will suit you better. (It won't btw, since overclocking is yet another feature you can't do with the iPhone, even if you jailbreak it.)
I never said you did. It was just an observation

Every time anyone say something negative about the iPhone, the default answer is "OH, you can do X if you jailbreak it." I've yet to hear of one feature that requires you to overclock the N900.
My phone is so laggy, what can I do?

Stop arguing folks alright it is kinda stupid. I find it funny how how people are trying to defend Apple's device when this is a NOKIA FORUM. So most people (but not everyone will disagree) here is going to disagree with you alright simple as that. Anyone iPhone fanboy who tells you to jailbrake get feature x, y, or z is stupid the fact of the matter is I shouldn't have to hack a device to get full functionality. A person shouldn't have to hack a device to be able to what they want with a device they payed for enough said.

The core issues with jailbreaking tend to be these:
- You must do it at all if your needs lie outside Apple's purview
- You must wait for a new jailbreak when an update is released, or you'll be locked down until it is available
- Apple has argued to the Library of Congress that jailbreaking is a violation of the DMCA, and was not deserving of an exemption for purposes of "compatibility"

If you dislike, Apple's way of doing things then don't use the device. The rules are there and they are not changing anytime soon. You, as a consumer, have the right to choose.
I don't believe that's up for argument. The problem arises when their model is seen by competitors (Microsoft, Samsung) as The Way To Do It Right leaving us with Windows Phone 7 not allowing any side-loads, and charging $20 to post free applications. It's about pushing back against a business model that is very much anti-freedom and seems to be spreading.

If your band puts the music in the itunes store and offers it for free then maybe you could reach out to Apple users.
Non-sequitor, Apple doesn't restrict you to music from iTunes.

It is better to be safe than sorry. the iPhone =/= 6230. At the moment, there is no way to prevent sharing of music illegally.
Well, no. Crippling capability of the fear that someone might share music *gasp* proves that you're firmly in the pockets of the media industry, instead of delivering functionality to your customers.

Never mind the faulty thinking that "if something could be used for an illegal purpose, it should be banned/disabled."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Stop arguing folks alright it is kinda stupid. I find it funny how how people are trying to defend Apple's device when this is a NOKIA FORUM. So most people (but not everyone will disagree) here is going to disagree with you alright simple as that. Anyone iPhone fanboy who tells you to jailbrake get feature x, y, or z is stupid the fact of the matter is I shouldn't have to hack a device to get full functionality. A person shouldn't have to hack a device to be able to what they want with a device they payed for enough said.
That was a genius argument. No one in their right mind should 'hack' their n900 'to be able to what they want' anyway.

@woody: this is what I mean.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
"I shouldn't have to hack a device to get full functionality. A person shouldn't have to hack a device to be able to what they want with a device they payed for enough said"

Totally agree, Nokia promised me activesync with my N900, they lied, and no amount of hacking on this forum has gotten it to work, apple on the other hand promised me activesync, and guess what they delivered.

THE PROBLEM IS Nokia delivered a HALF BAKED OS, and people are having to hack things to get BASIC features to work, im sure most dont mind hacks to gain extra functionality, but having to drop to terminal to FIX problems in the n900 is out of order, hell the fking alarm clock doesnt even work properly, they released a phone without MMS !!!! so how does joe blog "hack" that ???

so Yes I concur when you say "A person shouldn't have to hack a device to be able to what they want with a device they payed for enough said"

Tags
this is so sad