Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
The N9s last year came from Nokia Germany, the N900s from the Qt Project.
Nokia Germany thought that this was a german coding competition (even after I told them that it's international again and again). I think that's the reason why they weren't prepared to send the devices internationally.

Thanks Quim for claryfying that this year there won't be any shipping or tax costs for the winners.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-05-14 at 15:50.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
is there official webpage? one i saw has maemo stuff as well and it's not sorted, i think it should be per year separete pages

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
is there official webpage? one i saw has maemo stuff as well and it's not sorted
I'm not aware of a wiki page for the 2012 competition yet. There are a lot of details to be confirmed but, if you'd like to get it started, feel free to go ahead and help set one up!

The original competition was all maemo entries, the second was broader and open to Maemo and MeeGo entries.

i think it should be per year separete pages
I definitely agree, a seperate wiki page for each year's competition is the best way and that's what we do That way we can keep all of the entries, results, donations, etc etc in one place without it getting too large.

The 'skeleton' of the competition will remain basically the same from the previous two competitions, here's links to their wiki pages for some inspiration:

The original Maemo Coding Competition (2010)

The second MeeGo Coding Competition (2011)

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-05-14 at 16:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
i was refering for http://competition.meetmeego.org/, but i can try to help with wiki, but doesn't competitors need to enter the apps?
I think there should be one wiki page for rules and everything about competition not related to wich one, and in top the list for each ear apps and votes. like one for global info and for each competition page with minimal info but most important (apps, donors and votes)

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
i was refering for http://competition.meetmeego.org/, but i can try to help with wiki, but doesn't competitors need to enter the apps?
Oh I see, you mean the submission website. i'm not sure if it's happening again this year, and I think that still has to be confirmed. Actually Zehjotkah asked about it earlier in this thread

Originally Posted by zehjotkah
sooo, just wanted to say that I can do a little bit... What do you think about using our submission-platform again? (http://competition.meetmeego.org/)
How about you guys that entered, any feedback on using the submission site? Do you think we should use it again for 2012? Anything we could do differently to make things better?

BTW thanks for offering to help with the wiki ZogG.. hehe.. caught!

I think there should be one wiki page for rules and everything about competition not related to wich one, and in top the list for each ear apps and votes. like one for global info and for each competition page with minimal info but most important (apps, donors and votes)
Ok I see what you're getting at, that could work well. All ideas are welcome, especially fresh ones

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Ok I see what you're getting at, that could work well. All ideas are welcome, especially fresh ones
It would easier to add next year meego/tizen/meltme or what ever competition.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I'm sick at home and therefore bored...

What do you think about:
- only allow new applications/games/whatever as submissions? No frickelyfrick-updatety-thingy this time...
- only target maemo and meego-harmattan OSes (Nokia 770, N800, N810, N900, N950 and N9)

Regarding the competition.meetmeego.org page:
If we want to use the system again, of course we would set up a new instance, replacing the old one (maybe backing up the old one in an archive).
Also I will ask if we'd manage it to set up an own voting process in time, to not have to use the maemo council election system again (and thus not restricting the voting to some higher karma maemo.org members...).

edit:
name proposals:
maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 <---- my favourite
MaeGo Coding Competition 2012
Anti Elops Evil Windows Phone Plan Coding Competition

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-05-16 at 18:48.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Great for us, sad for you. I hope you'll get well soon.

What do you think about:
- only allow new applications/games/whatever as submissions? No frickelyfrick-updatety-thingy this time...
Yes, it is unfair to compare a totally new developed application with something which is already in development for years. While voting the most people doesn't consider the difference.

But personally I wouldn't exclude a port of a application to a new target including a new UI. At example a port of a application from N900 to Nokia N9 (forced to add a new qml gui at example).

How many categories have we this time?

Perhaps we could make a seperate categorie for updated applications. A category for contributors which are "only making" updates to existing applications.

But I wouldn't exclude ports of applications which are not aviliable at the N9 from the "common" categories.

- only target maemo and meego-harmattan OSes (Nokia 770, N800, N810, N900, N950 and N9)
I found the MeeGo Tablet, Handset, x86 / ARM stuff very confusing because we had this in every category. And during the voting they were not seperated handled as in the beginning discussed.

We have currently no MeeGo Tablet confusion. But those apps are perhaps still important for some people in the maemo world.
What about adding a seperate category for Tablets which have official support for Qt. (Cordia, mer or the Blackberry Playbook)

If we want to use the system again, of course we would set up a new instance, replacing the old one (maybe backing up the old one in an archive).
Yes, archive is needed. Very important!
Simply deleting is in my opinion always not a good idea.

Also I will ask if we'd manage it to set up an own voting process in time, to not have to use the maemo council election system again (and thus not restricting the voting to some higher karma maemo.org members...).
I would vote for exactly the same voting process as last time. This way nobody has to register especially for the voting at a different site, we know this time how it works and thanks to the needed higher karma we have a hopefully working weapon against unfair fake users.

edit:
name proposals:
[+1] maemo.org Coding Competition 2012
The name MeeGo is simply outdated. In my opinion it would have been better for Nokia to say it is running maemo on the N9 instead of MeeGo-Harmattan to stop all the confusions.

Whereby I must say, the last one is waking up some kind of motivating Qt emotions...

So, now I need simply a good and well doable idea... (oh, and more time!)

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
get well soon...we need you

What do you think about:
I think that we should leave also the updating thingy, or perhaps as helex says, create a new category for the updating (and maybe one for the porting) would be fine enough

As for the target, for my point of view, I would like to see only 'mobile' device target (no x86).

IMHO Using the maemo voting process is a good idea, as for the last competition, but make it up in time this time

edit:
name proposals:
maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 sounds good, also something more generic like 'Open Mobile Competition' would be cool, no?

p.s.: nice photo!

Best Regards,
Daniele Maio.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Just a few quick points.

maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 is my favoured option.

As far as voting goes, would it be simpler to create a poll/thread for each category here in TMO, with all votes visible (this makes it possible to view any voting irregularities eg. someone creating loads of profiles to vote up their submission)? This would keep it all in-house here at tmo, but lessen our reliance on Niemens.

+1 on the limiting it to new apps, it can get confusing to voters how much work has been done for the competition and is unfair on new submissions when competing against something that is much more polished.

Lastly, perhaps we could invite the Vivaldi team to sponsor a category for their tablet. This would help build ties between the communities.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas