Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Update: This project is underway and here is the current project status (or follow via Twitter with the hashtags #katanabible and/or #maemo/#maemo5).

A few questions related to a Bible application for Maemo 5 device(s):
  • Is there anyone working on one, if so, I'd be up to assist in testing, UI, etc. (am not a developer)
  • If there isn't one under development, would this kind of application be useful and if so what features rank highest
  • If not a Bible application specifically, would a browser-extension that works with a Bible-based website be a suitable development target
  • What are some of the positives and negatives of Bible applications for Maemo 5 devices (pick the perspective that's relevant to you to speak towards)

Thanks for entertaining the questions. Hopefully, there can be some momentum around this and we can build something like Mauku and other apps that are a highlight to the platform, not just a benefit to the user.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-12-08 at 18:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Check out Rapier. It will do what you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
What's a Bible app?

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
Can app that for Maemo 4 running in Maemo 5 successfuly?

The Following User Says Thank You to funpig For This Useful Post:
Unless it uses specific system calls relevant only to Maemo 4, then yes. Especially since, aside from some feature improvements and a new kernel, it's essentially the same as Maemo 4. Or at least the run environment is from what I understand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Central Valley, California, USA
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
What's a Bible app?
An application providing the ability to read and search within the Bible. Maybe with the opportunity to compare translations or research relevant topics?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lschumanfcoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
The original question wasn't asking about whether an application like this exists, but if someone is working on one for Maemo 5.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Unless it uses specific system calls relevant only to Maemo 4, then yes. Especially since, aside from some feature improvements and a new kernel, it's essentially the same as Maemo 4. Or at least the run environment is from what I understand.
I, too, am very much *assuming* that Rapier will work just as well on Maemo 5 and it does on 4. If not, I very much *hope* that the author will port it to Maemo 5!

The Following User Says Thank You to darethehair For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lschumanfcoe View Post
An application providing the ability to read and search within the Bible. Maybe with the opportunity to compare translations or research relevant topics?
And that's for a theologists or philosophers or something?

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I assume that there would be some mods needed to Rapier. For one, there's a HID document that outlines how programs should behave and function, Rapier doesn't follow that for M5 at this point.

Nevertheless, I don't want to assume that Rapier's developer has the time to develop. He may have the time to head a small dev team. That kind of activity is something a lot of us who'd like this application could get behind and then make something that's not only suitable, but befitting the platform.

@ColdFusion: theologists, philosophers, and just those interested in Judeao-Christian writings tend to enjoy the Bible as a source of ethics, history, and occasional encouragement.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword