My N810 recently fails on touchscreen capability. The N810 was a great device in the beginning, unfortunately Nokia abandons their customers very easy and very soon.

Now I want to try Android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hamunguia For This Useful Post:
bad move. although the hong kong dealers claim the archos has a arm cortex a9 in reality it has an overclocked arm 9. the same processor or that was in the nokia 770. android depends heavily on java. that also slows it down.
why do you think nokia abanded you. you can't just state it as fact without some backup.

Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
bad move. although the hong kong dealers claim the archos has a arm cortex a9 in reality it has an overclocked arm 9. the same processor or that was in the nokia 770. android depends heavily on java. that also slows it down.
why do you think nokia abanded you. you can't just state it as fact without some backup.
You are probably referencing the new Archos 7 Home Tablet.

The Archos 5 Internet Tablet does have a ARM CortexTM-A8

* Main processor: ARM CortexTM-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 800 MHz
* Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz

RAM memory 256 MB* (Low-Power Double Data Rate SDRAM)

Both the archos 7 and 5 have a Cortex, but the 5 has it clocked at 800 and the 7 at 600. But if and when the 7 gets rooted it could be overclocked. I would love to see how good these are in handling ajax rich pages, I work in web design so this is important to me.

I also just pre-orderd an archos 7 on expansys, man it is cheap!

But my wet dream is to actually get a 7 inch or 9 inch maemo tablet. Wow that would kick XXX

Originally Posted by tekplay View Post
You are probably referencing the new Archos 7 Home Tablet.

The Archos 5 Internet Tablet does have a ARM CortexTM-A8

* Main processor: ARM CortexTM-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 800 MHz
* Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz

RAM memory 256 MB* (Low-Power Double Data Rate SDRAM)

The Following User Says Thank You to ehab For This Useful Post:
although future devies might have a a8 the current devices have a
rockchip 2808 an arm9 running at 600 mhz with a dsp. google is your friend. if everyone else has a a8 device thats $700. an a8 device for 200 bucks just isn't going to happen.

Why Android on the Archos versus Android on another tablet?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by ehab View Post
Both the archos 7 and 5 have a Cortex, but the 5 has it clocked at 800 and the 7 at 600. But if and when the 7 gets rooted it could be overclocked. I would love to see how good these are in handling ajax rich pages, I work in web design so this is important to me.

I also just pre-orderd an archos 7 on expansys, man it is cheap!

But my wet dream is to actually get a 7 inch or 9 inch maemo tablet. Wow that would kick XXX
Regarding Archos's latest devices :

You are posting details about an older Archos 7 device that does have the Cortex-A8 processor.
If you ordered the latest Archos 7 Home Tablet from expansys
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=198651,
then , the specs are much different than the Archos 5 Internet Tablet

the Archos 7 specs are
7″ WVGA 800×480 touchscreen
600MHz ARM9 Rockchip 2808 CPU
128MB RAM

CortexTM-A8 != ARM9(Rockchip 2808)

The Following User Says Thank You to tekplay For This Useful Post:
disregard my last post i should of read more closely

Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
although future devies might have a a8 the current devices have a
rockchip 2808 an arm9 running at 600 mhz with a dsp. google is your friend. if everyone else has a a8 device thats $700. an a8 device for 200 bucks just isn't going to happen.
Actually, you can get an A8 cpu device for $200
At their store the Archos 5 8GB is $249 and the 16GB is $299.

Why am I talkin so much about the Archos???
Just so frustrated that Nokia didnt up the specs on the same form factor as the original IT's. Bah!!!Its been too long.

Originally Posted by tekplay View Post
Regarding Archos's latest devices :

You are posting details about an older Archos 7 device that does have the Cortex-A8 processor.
If you ordered the latest Archos 7 Home Tablet from expansys
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=198651,
then , the specs are much different than the Archos 5 Internet Tablet

the Archos 7 specs are
7″ WVGA 800×480 touchscreen
600MHz ARM9 Rockchip 2808 CPU
128MB RAM

CortexTM-A8 != ARM9(Rockchip 2808)
At one time, I was considering the Archos 705WiFi, w/7" inch screen(which is an older model and has lower spec by today's standard). But I ended up getting the Archos 605 instead, the reason was that 7" was just too big for portability. To me, the main selling point of all these devices(n800, archos at the time) was and continue to be portability -- that is if it can't fit in the jean/shirt pocket, it will get left behind.

Do not get me wrong, the 7" model looks really nice on display; but if you can't take it to the place that you want to go; then what is the point?

good luck,

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:

Tags
blow me, delete me, worstthreadever