Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Hi guys,

I haven't been very active on the forums and stuff (I'm more active on IRC). Though one thing has brought to my attention that is lacking. The community council for the current period are about to be due and because new community councillor cannot be nominated due to the fact that:

1) There's no token system in place and those whom have already fulfilled the basic requirements of the election process ultimately cannot vote because they were not issued a token.

2) The karma system is largely outdated and it needs to be updated so that it would fulfil those whom have received either "Thanks!" on http://talk.maemo.org and/or have made posts should have the added amount reflected on their profile as karma. This was already mentioned in "weighing" of one's karma. Without these updates, there would be far less people that are able to vote than say the people whom are more active on the forums compared to elsewhere.

Now, I was informed by DocScrutinizer05 that the person whom was going to take care of this issue was Woody14619. However Woody14619 has not been active on IRC for almost a month, in addition to that Woody14619 has not been active with posts as well.

My main concern is that with the election process is nearing and there's no system in place to allow any voting. The current councillors will ultimately be the subsequent councillors due to the very fact that nobody could vote.

I call upon anybody whom may have knowledge as specified here: http://maemo.org/community/council/m...emo-org_infra/ To come forth and in the very least get the token/karma system working properly before the election starts before some (or all) of the current councillors ultimately decides on giving up maintaining their roles as such for the next six months as a result of no vote/poll process given.

Thank you!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
There's no token system in place and those whom have already fulfilled the basic requirements
Actually, there is. For the last election I put in a script that copies the existing karma into a local table, then "manually" updated that voting-table-only copy with the missing data of TMO points. It did not add missing wikiedit points though.

This update doesn't show up in your profile, but does count toward getting a token. It's also an optionally run thing, since I didn't want it to auto-add it just in case someone got it working before the next election. Worst case, we can use that again, though I'd prefer to see a real fix done.

The karma system is largely outdated and it needs to be updated
This has been rehashed several times, though I think it would be a good time to rehash it again. This is something to take up with the next Council.

However Woody14619 has not been active on IRC for almost a month, in addition to that Woody14619 has not been active with posts as well.
As most past Council and Board know, my full-time job has a very heavy work cycle in Sept/Oct time frame. Some may recall this is why I initially did not want run for the Board position (nor Council) in the first joint election last year. I also stated that up front in my nomination acceptance, and is likely why I placed 4th in said election.

You may also note that it's currently Sept/Oct, and I still work at the same place.

I have been in touch with the Board, Council and Tech staff, and this issue is being addressed. But we are greatly understaffed. What's really needed are more people to volunteer time to look into and fix these issues. (And/or run for Council.)

Currently there has been some progress made. It looks like at least one or two of these issues may be patched, if not fully fixed, in the very near future. That's thanks in large part to existing tech staff and two new people who volunteered time to look in on this.

Understand, this is not an end to the call for more help. More is greatly needed in several capacities. But the elections can be held without worry that newer members will lack the ability to run or vote.

One thing to note: You so still need more than a TMO account to vote. In particular, you need to create a Maemo.org account, and link that to your TMO account as well. (Do a wiki search for info on how that works, or someone please post a link. I lack the ability/time to search/link right now.)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: