Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
this just makes the success of WP so crucial for NOK.

the layoffs were kinda expected but Meltemi and Qt on Mobile being binned is the shocker! look at RIM, they are adopting Qt but thanks to the MS agreement this is being killed leaving no backup plan.

any new OS creation from hereon will require at least 2 years which NOK can ill-afford. its a huge gamble which is stacked against NOK...a very sad day for all Nokia fans...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post
With Nokia stocks and shares crashing...why can't the shareholders or others on the board just fire Elop for getting into all this mess???

Im sure the must be some company policy that allows you to do this....
Whats the option?

Its been about year and half since Elopcalypse. There's no other products in the pipeline. Half of the remaining cash will be gone in six months, i.e the money will run out before anything else would even be on the market.

Only reason to fire him would be to stop him earning big pile of millions because of his failed startegy. But thats a moral argument. Business wise it makes no difference. Nokia went all in on Elop and lost all. Time to close or sell the shop, and everyone else to move on.

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Whats the option?

Its been about year and half since Elopcalypse. There's no other products in the pipeline. Half of the remaining cash will be gone in six months, i.e the money will run out before anything else would even be on the market.

Only reason to fire him would be to stop him earning big pile of millions because of his failed startegy. But thats a moral argument. Business wise it makes no difference. Nokia went all in on Elop and lost all. Time to close or sell the shop, and everyone else to move on.
Petition on Change.org to save Nokia??

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Well well, now it's time to look for a new job.
I was on vacation and a friend texted me a moment ago that we were laid off.

How fun is life?

Now countdown to the leak, but I really hope it won't happen as Nokia needs to pay this big time.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by ombre View Post

How fun is life?
its sad...really disappointed with Nokia's decisions...wish you luck in finding a place where your talents can be exhibited...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/14/30...s-stephen-elop and they still dont get it,

AmaziN9. ..

Originally Posted by amaziN9 View Post
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/14/30...s-stephen-elop and they still dont get it,
It's really easy when you have the pockets full of money.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by ombre View Post

How fun is life?
Sorry to hear that mate, I wish you the best of luck for the future.
Thank you to you, and all the others, that contributed to the Nokia I knew and loved.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
look at RIM, they are adopting Qt but thanks to the MS agreement this is being killed leaving no backup plan.
Well RIM is probably in even worse state. Playbook OS has only about a million users, and I would call it less finished than MeeGo Harmattan (I own both playbook and N9). They also have huge stocks of unsellable old BB phones, and the next gen phone is planned for the end of the year.

Adding Qt support is kinda the only option for them. The previous Adobe Air platform and Flash plugin will probably also be killed as Adobe and flash are becoming less relevant and Adobe stopped Linux and Android support already.
I believe the playbook plugin is expected for Qt Creator 2.6, so it is bugs and beta until then. I just hope Qt at least releases an update for the QtSDK that includes Qt Creator 2.5, as the previous one has some nasty bugs when developing for N9.

I also hope RIM doesn't run out of cash reserves before they can actually release their next-gen phone.

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories