Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by -miniME- View Post
hi

phone's ip-stack was not working this morning after a one night charging session - wlan was there but no ping possible - my e51 has no problems - and i did not have problems with n900 before with this. restart helped but ...
back to 800 from 900. just for the record.
Bummer!....me too, 900 was good but my phone isn`t fully stable at that speed

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
Also the phone was hotter than stock on 900 when flash content was playing, even for 5 minutes....I wouldn`t recommend it for heavy use!
I've been running mine at 1Ghz for now 2 days. Zero abnormal symptoms so far. Been using it quite heavily also.

Last night, I was watching about 1 hour of Flash videos directly from youtube via MicroB browser.
Then watched about 30mins of xvid avi video via mplayer. Then played a bit of angry birds before I slept.
That's just the last 2 hours or so betfore I slept.
Then I plugged it into my PC's USB to let it charge overnight.
This morning, watched another 45mins straight of xvid avi file on the train.

But I don't expect everyone to have similar results. As I mentioned in my guide, I reckon only about 1/4 at best would actually be useable and stable at 1Ghz. Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe not. =P

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-04-07 at 04:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
OMG! OMG! OMG!

My N900! Holy carp!

I've been running the 900mhz OC image for almost 2 days, and... IT'S STILL STABLE!

Seriously, I don't know what all these naysayers about overclocking the N900 being bad, are on...
Attached Images

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
OMG! OMG! OMG!

My N900! Holy carp!

I've been running the 900mhz OC image for almost 2 days, and... IT'S STILL STABLE!

Seriously, I don't know what all these naysayers about overclocking the N900 being bad, are on...
I'd guess either (1) reality or (2) a CPU not up to 900 MHz, like the half dozen or so reports in the past few pages.

It's really funny to see these "in your face" types of posts swimming in a sea of people realizing their hardware does have limitations.

Seriously, Nothing bad at all has happened to anybody overclocking.

The little devil on my shoulder is still cheering on those who are really pushing it, though. I think we are hoping to get to see Bratag cut loose...

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-04-07 at 04:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I've been running mine at 1Ghz for now 2 days. Zero abnormal symptoms so far. Been using it quite heavily also.

Last night, I was watching about 1 hour of Flash videos directly from youtube via MicroB browser.
Then watched about 30mins of xvid avi video via mplayer. Then played a bit of angry birds before I slept.
That's just the last 2 hours or so betfore I slept.
Then I plugged it into my PC's USB to let it charge overnight.
This morning, watched another 45mins straight of xvid avi file on the train.

But I don't expect everyone to have similar results. As I mentioned in my guide, I reckon only about 1/4 at best would actually be useable and stable at 1Ghz. Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe not. =P
Youtube videos were fine for me as well on 900, but justintv flash was crashing my browser....games and videos were great as well.....maybe it`s just that website that has the problem, but it didn`t have this problem before overclocking.

http://www.atdhe.net/

Click on the poker channel, and then make it full screen.When I do the browser crashes.

Can play this channel all day long on 800mhz

This is like overclocking on the PC....you think that your system is stable until you get a crash on heavy usage....then boom ...it hits you that your system is not stable....this also happens months or years later, when your hardware are stressed, forcing you to drop the frequency down because they can cope with the overclocking.....this is first hand experience from the celeron 800 overclocking days

Last edited by sophocha; 2010-04-07 at 04:31.

Okay. I am now using titan's flasher-maemo-kernel.
When you first install this and reboot. It is 250-600.

Then I used Desktop Command Execution Widget.
Used the following script and made it "button" sized.

Code:
echo "echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq" | sudo gainroot
This widget currently has a very nice side effect for overclocking.
As whenever you reboot, it will run the widget once at startup. =P

But due to this "bug", I do not recommend you to place multiple of these widgets on your desktop with various speeds.
Once it has been fixed, then this widget can easily be used to quickly switch between overclocks at will by having multiple buttons on the desktop.

It can also be used to always be able to know what your current maximum frequency is by using the following script

Code:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
You can obviously make it so that the output looks a bit nicer than just the number. =)

Anyways. So far so good. Might try 1.2GHz. =)

This is like overclocking on the PC....you think that your system is stable until you get a crash on heavy usage....then boom ...it hits you that your system is not stable....this also happens months or years later, when your hardware are stressed, forcing you to drop the frequency down because they can cope with the overclocking.....this is first hand experience from the celeron 800 overclocking days
Yup. I wish I had prim95 or something similar to put 100% load and monitor any errors.

I've overclocked the Celeron 300A to 450 and 566 to 800 also. Those were the days. lol.
I also overclocked my 486-50 to 60 and AMD 486 DX4-100 to 120mhz via fsb overclock
Never got to try overclocking my 286. Hmm. Didn't have internet to google. lol

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-04-07 at 04:40.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
There is a new stable overclockable kernel in extras-testing (version 2.6.28-maemo19, not 18!!).
Installation is very simple: install the package kernel-flasher-maemo (section system in HAM), shutdown and cold boot. There's no need for reflashing etc.
It requires firmware PR1.1 or newer.

The default limit is at stable 600MHz. This is the same setting as the stock kernel and is safe.

This kernel makes it possible dynamically change the maximum frequency up to 1.2GHz (supported frequencies are 250,500,550,600,700,750,800,850,900,950,1000,1100, 1200MHz)
WARNING: Overclocking may damage your device and is at your own risk!
You can manually increase the limit until your device fries using, e.g. for 600MHz
Code:
sudo gainroot
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
The last line shows which value was actually set.
This setting takes effect immediately and is cleared with the next reboot.
To permanently fix the limit edit the scaling_max_freq setting in /etc/pmconfig (using vi).
WARNING: Permanent overclocking is very dangerous!

Apart from overclocking, this kernel has a lot of other features
(2.6.28.10, PR1.2 SDK patches etc) see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43420
It also retains the version info in Settings -> Product info.
If it works well for you, please vote at
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....6.28-maemo19/

PS: 125MHz is deliberately not included, see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=141

Good luck!
is there a way to use desktop widget execution widget for the change?"

Originally Posted by firstknight View Post
is there a way to use desktop widget execution widget for the change?"
Please read my post just above yours.

Bummer!....me too, 900 was good but my phone isn`t fully stable at that speed
I think it's better to double-triple check and test to verify if it's because of the clock speed or it just that particular moment.
Even at 600Mhz, I do have occasional instability or slow/hang, MicroB crash, etc.

I wouldn't jump to conclusion it was the clock speed issue unless something is really wrong.
It might also be what apps you have installed.

Perhaps if someone really want to confirm their device is the limitation, flash the device completely (that means, clean flash) then OC and see if it's acting the same. I'd say most probably there won't be any more issues.

Another thing about temperature/heat. I read from other forums which the device having same ARM Cortex A-8, they also did similar OC from 600Mhz up to 1Ghz.The "experts" there gave different opinion about the heat, they said it's rarely the processor, the heat is most probably caused by the "battery". Maybe someone who experience heat can confirm?
E.g. power off, remove the battery and see which is the heat source.

Originally Posted by Andy214 View Post
I think it's better to double-triple check and test to verify if it's because of the clock speed or it just that particular moment.
Even at 600Mhz, I do have occasional instability or slow/hang, MicroB crash, etc.

I wouldn't jump to conclusion it was the clock speed issue unless something is really wrong.
It might also be what apps you have installed.

Perhaps if someone really want to confirm their device is the limitation, flash the device completely (that means, clean flash) then OC and see if it's acting the same. I'd say most probably there won't be any more issues.

Another thing about temperature/heat. I read from other forums which the device having same ARM Cortex A-8, they also did similar OC from 600Mhz up to 1Ghz.The "experts" there gave different opinion about the heat, they said it's rarely the processor, the heat is most probably caused by the "battery". Maybe someone who experience heat can confirm?
E.g. power off, remove the battery and see which is the heat source.
It`s definetly the 900 overclock.....The only thing that I was changing on the phone is the kernel.....Now I have 850 and it plays that flash channel just fine....900 is just too much for my phone I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom