Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Update:
Canonical Confirms Ubuntu Phone Will Not Allow Android Apps

If you are expecting to run Android applications on your Ubuntu smartphone, then you should stop dreaming. Well, Canonical has disclosed its strategy clearly in this regard. Canonical believes that if people start running Android apps on Ubuntu smartphones then what’s the point of having an app store for Ubuntu operating system based smartphones?

Canonical will provide the necessary help to developers to port their applications to Ubuntu but has clearly stated that it’s not up for charity. In an interview with Engadget, Collins, product manager, Canonical said, “Many Android developers already use Ubuntu as their desktop OS and we have a very close affinity with them. We intend to encourage them to make their Android applications run on Ubuntu, but we won’t engineer any middleware for running Android apps. Developers are intelligent and capable enough to make their apps run on our devices. We have an active initiative right now to directly help them achieve this.”

Meanwhile, as we are waiting for Canonical to start shipping its Ubuntu smartphones, the company is taking all possible measures to ensure that Ubuntu phone operating system is successful from the minute it goes public. Canonical has announced its CoreApps project, focusing on 12 default apps including calendar, calculator, clock / alarm, weather and email client. As part of the project, eight usual apps like File Manager, Calendar, Clock/Alarm, Weather, Terminal, Calculator, E-Mail Client, Document Viewer and four social apps like YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, RSS Reader would be designed.
http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=99043

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
This is so true..

We, Nokia/qwerty enthusiasts have very limited choices..
it's 2013 and we have , what? the N900, the N97 and the E7...

Jeez
Nokia N950.

Maybe E71/E72/E6 but they're different format (same as BB).

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Ubuntu phones coming in October, promising 'a leap' ahead of current interfaces

It's the year of Linux — on mobile, at least. Canonical aims to have its new Ubuntu OS in developers' hands in late February with phones available to consumers in "two geographically large markets" this October, reports The Wall Street Journal. The mobile version of the popular open-source operating system was announced last month, sporting no buttons and a gesture-heavy interface similar to what we're seeing on BlackBerry's new Z10. We don't know who will be making Ubuntu devices, but Canonical says that it will be easy for Android phone manufacturers to convert to its platform.

Canonical discussed its design philosophy for the new operating system with Co.Design, describing an almost zen experience for the user inspired by everything from other phones to Japanese architecture. We have doubts about the ease of using an entirely gesture-based OS, but Canonical claims that thanks to muscle memory and simple cues like the phone's edge, it's actually "a leap from where mobile user interfaces were." Our own Vlad Savov took a first look at Ubuntu when it was announced, but in spite of sluggish performance, his biggest concern for the new platform was whether it could find a place in a crowded mobile market. With new versions of iOS and Android likely to come before that, Ubuntu may have a difficult time standing out when October rolls around.

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2013-02-14 at 08:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Grab your nexus. The 21st is the date!

http://www.canonical.com/content/tou...-february-2013

Pretty nice info

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-02-16 at 10:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ubuntu for tablets will be shown at MWC 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h384z7Ph0gU&hd=1

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
OMG... Unity for tablets! Stop Canonical!
Unity sucks!

The Following User Says Thank You to diogotrc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by diogotrc View Post
OMG... Unity for tablets! Stop Canonical!
Unity sucks!
Even though I don't like the Unity desktop one bit (or maybe I'm kinda' thankful for it since it helped me quit Ubuntu/Gnome for KDE) and I think that the Ubuntu for Phone interface is too complicated for everyday use (too many confusing swipes), I am very pleasently surprised by this tablet interface.
After having used iOS, Android and webOS on tablets, I've got to say this is the best tablet UI I've seen yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Ubuntu(Note: this is an uber alpha) is now available for the nexus series. Grab your nexus and try it.

Tried it... What do you think?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Have fun!

If you ****ing it up completly or want to go back:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

EDIT: DL server is uber slow. We need a torrent!

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-02-21 at 18:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Like Android, UbuntuMobile will be yet another overhyped OS.

So today they released the SDK but its only ALPHA!

People here complained about Jolla not realising theyr SDK.

I am 100% sure upcoming Jolla SDK will be more stable alpha than what Canonical is now releasing. It smells more and more like canonical is desperate getting stuff out.

And myet again: Media attention is fokus on those who marketing best(Canonical team). NOT those who makes best quality API/OS:es or most open (Jolla team)...

History repeating itself over and over again....

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-02-21 at 20:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
It's not really the sdk. Mike. Wake up

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013