Poll: To whom should we give the 10th N900?
Poll Options
To whom should we give the 10th N900?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
As discussed in the MeeGo Coding Competition thread.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...28#post1139428

edit: to explain:
We got 10 Nokia N900 sponsored from the Qt Project for the second prize winners for the MeeGo Coding Competition.
In the MeeGo Coding Competition we just have nine categories, so we have to decide to whom we should give the 10th device.
Some month ago we had a discussion to give it to the 3rd prize winner in the Games Category because it was the category with the most number of submissions.
We haven't decided on it back then, though.

So the question is if it is fair to change the Prizes after the results of the coding competition were already published and we should give the spare N900 to the third prize winner of the MeeGo Coding Competition or if we should give the device to someone who could make good use of it but who isn't related to the MeeGo Coding Competition, instead.
I proposed the Nemo guys because they're doing awesome work (running Harmattan apps on the N900, how cool is that?!).

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-12-20 at 07:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
10th?? sorry wasnt following that thread so idk who got the other 9 of them but how about someone who is actively developing for maemo like mag pali or nicolai?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
10th?? sorry wasnt following that thread so idk who got the other 9 of them but how about someone who is actively developing for maemo like mag pali or nicolai?
updated the first post.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Sell it to the highest bidder and put the money in the 'server and hosting' kitty that we will need when Nokia pull the plug in 2012...oh, look at the date.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Sell it to the highest bidder and put the money in the 'server and hosting' kitty that we will need when Nokia pull the plug in 2012...oh, look at the date.
I don't know how much cash it takes to run this place, but with big servers pumping packages off the repo, a wiki, forum and bugtracker, I don't think ~$350 would last too long.

New idea: Have Elop sign the N900, sell it for $5000.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Magdeburg, Germany
I think giving it to the Nemo guys would be great.
They do an awesome job and I would love to see Nemo getting more stable and usable in the future!

(Also I think it's kind of not so fair to change prizes after the end of the competition, but that's just my opinion )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flocke000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
seems like i'm the only one on the other side of town. hehe anyway here's my post on the other thread:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
dunno if my vote counts here but the idea of giving the N900 to the 3rd place winner in the games category was brought up first. that could have raised some expectations among developers in the game category, if they read that discussion back then. although it was never made official, the decision to stray from that idea could lead to some disappointment.
i'm not a developer and did not join in any contest, just want to express my opinion.
i don't have anything against the Nemo guys, as an N900-only owner (no N9 here) i would benefit more on the success of the project, i just wanted to spare some devs from heartache.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
New idea: Have Elop sign the N900, sell it for $5000.
i think that would lower the value ...maybe sneak into HP and have Ari Jaaski sign it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
It was a difficult decision but finally I gave my vote to the Nemo guys. They are doing nice and interesting things and additional testing device is always useful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
+1 for Nemo as Tizen is a myth Nemo is all we have after Maemo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post: