Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Disclaimer
SCIM is a spreadsheet program that is based on the good old SC. It is actively developed by Andrés Martinelli under the 4-clause BSD license. As an improved version of SC it adds functionalities like import of XLSX files (note that not everything is supported or implemented yet), undo / redo etc. All credits go to Andrés and if you like his work you might consider donations to his account. I am just sharing this information to you.

Why a terminal based spreadsheet editor?
There is no native spreadsheet editor on SFOS and if I remember correctly none for Harmattan and Fremantle, just a viewer. You can work around this lack using an Android app on Jolla, but what about ports? On Fremantle or Harmattan we had to work around this issue using Easy Debian.

The answer could just be: Some of us like VI(M)

I know that there are ambitions to emulate Android apps without using Alien-Dalvik and to port LibreOffice as it is now available under Wayland but this is probably no short-term or midterm solution.

How to install SCIM on your device
I assume that you are familiar with developer mode, installing packages from command line, compiling, git and vi(m).

I will not provide packages for all the different platforms (desktop, Maemo Fremantle, Meego Harmattan, Sailfishos etc.)

The below describes the compilation of SCIM with XLSX support:
  • Grab libzip and install it as mentioned in the README
    Code:
    cd libzip-0.11.2
    ./configure
    make
    ./install-sh
  • Install SCIM from the dev branch:
    Code:
    git clone -b dev https://github.com/andmarti1424/scim scim
    cd scim
    Modify the MAKEFILE for your needs, for instance:
    Code:
    XLSX := -DXLSX
    CFLAGS := $(LINUX) $(FREEBSD) $(NETBSD) -O2 -Wall -pipe -g -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/lib/libzip/include
    LDLIBS := -lm -lncurses -lzip -lxml2

Run SCIM
Either start SCIM directly or import an XLSX file
Code:
scim --xlsx-readformulas spreadhsheet.xlsx
Help
You can access help directly within SCIM using
Code:
:help
Screenshots

Happy hacking.

Last edited by BluesLee; 2016-04-17 at 11:15. Reason: Modification

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Nice. Looks like good old Lotus 1-2-3.

I'd never heard of SC(IM) before and when I saw the title, I imagined something, well, terminal based Like editing your spreadsheet through CLI commands that could be used in a script, that sort of thing. But a text-based GUI is OK too

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: