Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Portugal
Hi everyone, I'm seriously considering buying the N900, and you can call me insane, but I would really like to buy one in the following condition:

new.

It's probably not available anymore, anywhere, but I can see some online sites (eBay, Amazon) selling it and listing it as "brand new". I'm just afraid that I'm buying a supposedly brand new device when it'll be a fake, refurbished with crappy new parts, etc.

Can someone recommend me anywhere to buy with (any?) guarantee it will be new?

I've been reading the N900 forums and I am fascinated with the capability and usability of this "mobile computer". I'm studying Software Engineering, and run Linux as my main OS (in almost every device, really like to mess up with that kind of stuff).

In all seriousness, I want this and can't explain why, but I really wouldn't want a used one. Okay, only if there's a user from these forums selling one that actually doesn't look like it's used?

(I'm in Portugal, I just signed, so Hi!, and sorry for the long and boring post)

The Following User Says Thank You to ricardosteve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I doubt you'll find a new one anywhere, but my advice would be to buy one from a trusted member of this forum. New ones on ebay are usually refurbs as far as I know.

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
I doubt you'll find a new one anywhere, but my advice would be to buy one from a trusted member of this forum. New ones on ebay are usually refurbs as far as I know.
Here in Romania, you can still get a brand new one, with 2 year warranty for about 600 euros... Yes, even more expensive than a SG3.

I don't know what to say about e-bay, but I got my tablet pc from e-bay, and guess what, 5 years and still works like new.

I got 2 N900 here, 2nd hand, and they both broke, so yes, I agree with you, GET A NEW ONE, and YOU BETTER GET IT WITH WARRANTY, or else, the usb port/gsm chip break, you can say goodbye to it!

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Portugal
Well, I want this smartphone so much, but it is kind of a letdown that I can't find it in a new, brand new or almost new condition. 600 euros is too much, on amazon.co.uk it shows as brand new for some 200+ British pounds, but I'm afraid I'll buy it and then it's a fake, or just refurb.

Would gladly appreciate if someone would help me, but I also know there is the probability that what I want is impossible to accomplish.

I would also like to develop for this device and try all sorts of stuff. It was my dream device when I was arround 18, but got no money back then. Oh well.

* Ok, what if I get a refurb, is it a good deal? :/

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Here check this one its looks almost new without any scratches.

Amazon is normally pretty good when it comes to support if the item isn't up to your expectations.
Ebay, on the other hand, can be a bit of a minefield. The majority of the "NEW" N900s are shipped from China and a most certainly refurbs. You have to be careful of some of the single unit sellers on ebay too.
A friend of mine bought an N900 from ebay that was supposed to be in "excellent condition", only for me to notice that it had been repaired badly, the screen or digitizer had been replaced (indicated by it being a different colour to mine) and because whoever repaired it had superglued the front bezel back on after stripping the screws. The device also began to suffer from the "No Telephony Functions" after a few days indicating the broken SIM contacts problem.