Active Topics

Notices

Agreed!
The opera portrait keyboard layout/design is the best.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fixfox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
One, to counter something the quote said: Opera's keyboard is not perfect. It's a pain in the *** getting to some common symbols and last I checked (earlier this week) it still uses the caps-lock approach to capitalization, instead of "one click = shift; two clicks = caps-lock". That's not perfection. That's being good enough to be the best, but given that it's the only browser with a full qwerty keyboard in portrait mode, that's not saying a lot.

Two, Opera's portrait keyboard has been brought up before in this very thread. And looking at your quote, I wouldn't be surprised if it was you who originally brought it up in this thread.

Three, there's already a QWERTY version in the works, case in point, look at the screenshots a few pages back in this thread. Looking at the project's website I'm not completely able to tell if it's actually been merged into the original's code, but the point is it's there, and honestly, it looks better (though similar enough that if Opera's keyboard is perfect for you, it won't be too different) than Opera's keyboard in my opinion based on the screenshots.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
does it do portrait qwerty ?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Really? Read the thread. Or, you know, my previous post: "there's a QWERTY version in the works". If it was finished, it would not be referred to as "in the works". If it was already in the current version of portrait-keyboard available in extras-devel, I would not have, in context of the last two posts before mine, referred to it as "in the works". And even though misinterpretation is understandable, unless you misunderstood the entire thread after taking the time to read all of it, it won't be taken to kindly by most people.

Just thought I'd give you all a progress report,

Two page qwerty, portrait and landscape modes, working nicely on my n900 (screenshots are from scratchbox though). Key layout is still under rework, its hard fitting things in nicely with hildon/gtkbuttons. (not to mention time to work on things).

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to eternal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
progress is looking good eternal. But I still think the key layout need a bit more work and I hope it supporting other languages other than english.

is this already working?

Originally Posted by fixfox View Post
Agreed!
The opera portrait keyboard layout/design is the best.
Agreed! QWERTY is a must and the opera design is indeed the best!

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
One, to counter something the quote said: Opera's keyboard is not perfect. It's a pain in the *** getting to some common symbols and last I checked (earlier this week) it still uses the caps-lock approach to capitalization, instead of "one click = shift; two clicks = caps-lock". That's not perfection. That's being good enough to be the best, but given that it's the only browser with a full qwerty keyboard in portrait mode, that's not saying a lot.

Two, Opera's portrait keyboard has been brought up before in this very thread. And looking at your quote, I wouldn't be surprised if it was you who originally brought it up in this thread.

Three, there's already a QWERTY version in the works, case in point, look at the screenshots a few pages back in this thread. Looking at the project's website I'm not completely able to tell if it's actually been merged into the original's code, but the point is it's there, and honestly, it looks better (though similar enough that if Opera's keyboard is perfect for you, it won't be too different) than Opera's keyboard in my opinion based on the screenshots.
I'm not sure whether you're talking about me but I tried bringing this idea up in another thread in vain. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55731

I just saw the progress on this app for the portrait keyboard and I have to say I'm impressed. I didn't mean to say that Opera's keyboard is perfect and to be honest I don't even use it but I just liked that there was a good portrait keyboard.

Anyway good job on this app.. Thumbs up

The Following User Says Thank You to bachagabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California, USA
Great!Looks really good man..

'Keep your friend close and your enemies closer.'

Tags
hit and run, worthless