I'm not seeing the update. I'm fairly sure I have extras-devel enabled. :/ sorry...

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
Sorry that development of Telescope was slow in past month. This is due to changes in my regular job () and due to my new N900 ().
Thanks for the update (even though I don't see it in the App Manager yet) but more importantly I really hope that your new N900 won't make you forget your N810 and Diablo
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Have you tried to manually update package list in appmanager or do apt-get update? I just checked it on my N810 -- it sees the upgrade.

I will try hard to continue development under Diablo, because i love my N810 anyway I wish it were possible to put N900's chips into N810's case -- this would be the best device for me!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Have you tried to manually update package list in appmanager or do apt-get update? I just checked it on my N810 -- it sees the upgrade.

I will try hard to continue development under Diablo, because i love my N810 anyway I wish it were possible to put N900's chips into N810's case -- this would be the best device for me!
Got the update now

Yeah, I know the lack of processing power of the N810 is starting to show more and more now that it can be compared to newer and more powerful devices. Still, that screen, keyboard and general form factor makes it rather unique - and applications like Telescope makes it more of a joy to use.

Speaking of Telescope...what new features do you realistically see in the future for it?

Will we see;

1) A replacement of the Launcher 'circles' at the bottom of the screen with the names of the actual categories - and the ability to click on them to go directly to that category folder,

2) A status-bar inside Telescope,

3) Portrait support,

4) Something else?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

I got the update now too. But it took a while to see it. Thank you for your work mitrander

silvermountain, lets prioritize tasks that should be done for Telescope. What is the problem #1? #2?
Portrait mode and adding buttons for categories is heavily
connected, because both are having to do with reimplementation of onscreen drawing.

By the way, how many categories do you have in your menu? I think if we implement category buttons with labels (as on Kroll's mockup), buttons will be somewhat small and labels could be truncated. Not very nice.
May be more convient would be two-level icons menu, like with Catorize on Maemo5. I mean when you open launcher, it will display the menu with icons like we have it now, but each icon will represent one category, and after you tap one of them, it opens second-level menu with app icons from this category. Will it be more convenient? Or you don't have many categories and buttons at bottom would be better?

silvermountain, lets prioritize tasks that should be done for Telescope. What is the problem #1? #2?
Portrait mode and adding buttons for categories is heavily
connected, because both are having to do with reimplementation of onscreen drawing.

By the way, how many categories do you have in your menu? I think if we implement category buttons with labels (as on Kroll's mockup), buttons will be somewhat small and labels could be truncated. Not very nice.
May be more convient would be two-level icons menu, like with Catorize on Maemo5. I mean when you open launcher, it will display the menu with icons like we have it now, but each icon will represent one category, and after you tap one of them, it opens second-level menu with app icons from this category. Will it be more convenient? Or you don't have many categories and buttons at bottom would be better?
You may have to do a poll for that

Personally, I'd say my top issue is the need for portrait support.

I'm not a fan of the two-icon layer approach as it will add steps/clicks in many situations (clicking 'back out' to the top level, clicking to get to the apps in the first place). Maybe the solution is to substitute the row of circles that now are at the bottom of Launcher with - something like Personal Launcher. A row of round, freely definable icons that each represent a category. And you can click on those small icons (1/4th the size of the app icons or so..) at the bottom to go directly to that category. Allow for, say, 10 icons.

That might be a pain to code though unless you can leverage the code from Personal Launcher

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-09-12 at 11:24.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
I need a way (like telescope>launcher>script) to kill hildon-desktop... so hopefully stable comes out soon, since the tray keeps locking open, preventing access to apps.
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

Telescope won't change apps after viewing the launcher when systemui is not running. One of the window thumbnails is highlighted when home key is pressed but press it two more times and none of the windows are highlighted and tapping anywhere on the screen (thumbnail or desktop) returns to the launcher. Returning to the desktop (tapping on launcher background) and then pressing home key allows a window to be tapped and switched to but none of the windows are highlighted so dpad doesn't work.

I don't know if this is a problem with 2.0~rc3 or if it existed in prior versions but I just found it when I stopped systemui and also tested with powerlaunch.

--

Should "press(F6): shell(...)" work when the launcher is visible or only in the task switcher?

--

The launcher icons should be moved up a little to increase the area below them for easier swiping.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Thank you for comments!

key bindings only work in task switcher view for now. Yes, i should activate them in launcher view too.

The swiping area, i think, should be increased to whole screen i think

How can i reproduce the bug you described? Will it appear just after i stop systemui? Or should i do something else?