Friend of mine is going to US soon, i told him to buy a Nokia 770 for me. But I wonder if there will be any problem. Can somene tell me if there is some differences between european and american version of this marvelous gadget?

Unfortunately i live in Czech republic and Nokia will not ditribute this gadget in here. If anyone has some other idea how to get it i will apriace it.

The US version has 802.11 FCC restrictions, the main one being that it only operates on channel 1 to 11.
So you won't be able to connect to your european AP if it runs on channel 12 and 13...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Anyone know if the UK power adapter will work in the US? (via a 3-pin to 2-pin adaptor, natch)

Going to the US in a couple of weeks (for a week) and have already grown quite attached to my 770

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You'll also undoubtedly run into the problem that the 770 is only available via phone/web orders for the foreseeable future, and that your friend will need a credit card with US based address information associated with it, and a US shipping address.

I spoke with a coworker of mine who knows people in the US office and I may be getting mine Dec 7th when he visits Canada.

(I'm still griping that the US won't ship to Canada)

if there are such restrictions on wifi in the USA, that would mean that ALL US business people would have to buy their notebooks in europe

Are you sure about the wifi functionality?

Originally Posted by martin.kalda
if there are such restrictions on wifi in the USA, that would mean that ALL US business people would have to buy their notebooks in europe
If 11 channels are not enough for you, yes. Usually, APs running in Europe try not to run in 12 or 13, especially in business environments. But nothing prevent them from doing so, and keep FCC ruled 802.11 devices out of the network.
Many countries have different rules, and for example channels 0 and 14 are legal in Japan. So, if I go to Japan with my european 770 and hit an AP running on channel 0 I'm screwed.

Originally Posted by martin.kalda
Are you sure about the wifi functionality?
The FCC ISM spectrum starts at 2.401 Ghz and ends at 2.473 Ghz. It means that if your a "civilian", you're not allowed to transmit or receive _any_ radio wave outside of this spectrum.
Channel 11 is centered in 2.462 Ghz but the bandwidth basically ends at 2.473 Ghz. Any higher channel would fall further in the spectrum and thus be illegal in the US (country ruled by FCC as far as electromagnetic transmission goes). So, yes, I'm sure.

You can double check here:
http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/w...locations.html

and you can also see that the 770 FCC tests are run on the 2 border channels (1 and 11), and a middle one (7):
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf