Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I still don't get it.. I see mixed signals here about the battery.. does reflashing the firmware fix the battery issue or no!?!?

Maybe there should be a poll about this..
Granted the N900 arrived from the factory with a bug or two in the firmware, but ultimately it is running Linux. Flashing the firmware is only needed for those that don't understand (or care) about what they are installing. If you get longer battery life after you've flashed, you could have actually fixed the problem without flashing.

hi m facing the problem when i connect my device the same way u mentioned ...
the error says "problm occurd during installation of hardware and ur hardware might not work properly"
and then on reflash it says no hardware found

i am planning a reflash soon because of less battery and a bit slow.i hav backed up rootfs and optfs. after a reflash if i back up rootfs and optfs will it do any gud or my phone will be the same before it was flashing. cz m backing up.will it stay as it was before?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
navneet: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...rmware#Windows and fyi, don't hijack the thread.

trisha02: N900 is not called a phone and reflashing may help speed things up but when you restore your backed up setup, you may bring back things that were either buggy, uses loads of resources or otherwise leftover remnants of a previously uninstalled program and is now taking up space. In other words your mileage may vary so don't hold your breath and expect dramatic performance boost. How you use N900 and how proficient you are with linux and troubleshooting ultimately effects the outcomes of boosting the performance of N900.

Otherwise there's hardly much point if you install things from places where they tell you to bewary of (extras-testing, extras-devel), make modifications to the CPU's speed of N900 (aka overclocking which may cause damage but otherwise shortens the effective life of the device), or just generally doing things that you weren't meant to do. These things can degrade the usability of the device further down the track and sometimes lost performance may never be able to be regained once the device takes damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
i am planning a reflash soon because of less battery and a bit slow.i hav backed up rootfs and optfs. after a reflash if i back up rootfs and optfs will it do any gud or my phone will be the same before it was flashing. cz m backing up.will it stay as it was before?
if you flash clean rootfs and optfs, then reflash on it your old rootfs and optfs (that's what the backup do), I don't see how it could change anything (ie problems will still be there)

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ philly
im using win7x64bits, how can i reflash the EMMC? flashing the firmware is no problem.

Tags
reflash once a day