Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The whole project started as, "N900 with more RAM and faster CPU". Would getting back to that without all the extra features not get us back to the drop-in replacement goal?
No, since the limiting factors are the contiguous real estate needed by modem, and the "headroom" needed by modem. Even if we go for micro-SIM to make enough room between battery connector and SIM-tray for the footprint of the modem, we still miss 0.5mm or more on usable height till we hit the battery. When we "dig a hole" into the PCB to bury the modem in it, then we get into trouble with heatsink and trace layout since we can't do 8 layer on the remaining PCB thickness. Please believe me when I say we try everything to NOT have to do this extension, it's not a question of a few (per)cent more expense on components or finding place for that fancy lazor-razor that we maybe want to add. If we do this, then because we have to, not because we don't care.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Somewhere around ~2 mm AFAIK. Exact value will probably depend on used modem module and some other stuff not fixed in stone yet, but it shouldn't be much thicker than that at the end.
Call me stupid but how can it both be thicker and at the same time fit all n900 enclosures?

The Following User Says Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
Call me stupid but how can it both be thicker and at the same time fit all n900 enclosures?
It's very easy to add those millimeters between main part with the keyboard and the screen part. The rails which allow keyboard to be slided out just need to be placed on some thingie to add that thickness, and if it'll really end up needing such increased thickness, then that part will be bundled together with the mainboard. That also means that whole operation still remains reversible.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I just checked my leather case, and 2-3 credit cards (1.5~2.25mm) fit easily inside along with the N900, they just make a bit more snug fit. I suppose this is true for other leather cases, leather does have some elasticity.

Hard cases on the other hand might have an issue.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
It's very easy to add those millimeters between main part with the keyboard and the screen part. The rails which allow keyboard to be slided out just need to be placed on some thingie to add that thickness, and if it'll really end up needing such increased thickness, then that part will be bundled together with the mainboard. That also means that whole operation still remains reversible.
does this mean that there would be a gap whereby large dust/pocket lint/whatever particles could get inside?

I wish I knew more about this stuff so I could help with the research. Time to learn I guess..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
does this mean that there would be a gap whereby large dust/pocket lint/whatever particles could get inside?
IMO it shouldn't be worse than in stock N900.

Hey, we'll also be the users of Neo900, we also care about such stuff cause it's going to impact us as well!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
so if calibration is the problem, is it an LTE specific issue, or do all smaller modem chipsets regardless of LTE need to have this done?

edit: a quick google shows the phrase 'self calibration' mentioned a lot. is it the case that the larger chips do this and the smaller ones don't?

Last edited by marbleuser; 2013-10-20 at 23:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
so if calibration is the problem, is it an LTE specific issue, or do all smaller modem chipsets regardless of LTE need to have this done?
It's not the matter of "smaller modems". There are GSM chips, which you can use to build your modem (and get calibration, certification and all related stuff by yourself), and there are complete GSM modules - think about them like about USB dongles - ready to use, just connect and turn on. Of course modules are bigger than chips alone and aren't as flexible as chip based designs made specifically for some device - for instance, we could decide to make modem larger in height and width to make it thinner, which is not possible with a module.

While Nokia easily can build their modem just as they wish, we cannot - we have to use some prebuilt module and accept size constraints it's going to force on us.

And no, it's not LTE specific.

Last edited by dos1; 2013-10-20 at 23:21.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Great answer , thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
-------
---I just had this pop onto my screen and thought
someone may have already checked this out:

from this site:

http://www.boardcon.com/EM210%28Android%204.0%29.html

I certainly realize this is not the same as what we are aiming at
(5v battery!, having serialport rj45 woot rj11 for what),
but if the manufacturer of this board is accommodating linux,
as a quick browse of the website seems to show....
...maybe they could manufacture what we need?

Has anyone tried loading this ?

If not I will try to get a board and give it a go.

(Yes, I realize at 108mm x 141mm this will not fit normal pockets)

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!