Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I got question on slightly different topic.

I'm planning to buy mini-keyboard (as my travel one), connected through USB or bluetooth. I've found some at good prices, but they got somehow strange layout (88 keys, for example).

I know extkbd got many different layouts bundled-in, but none of them seems (at least judging by name) matching any of keyboard I've found. So, here goes my question - can I rest assured, that I'll be (probably) able to use such a keyboard without problem - if not by bundled layouts, maybe it's 100% sure that I can add my own ones, or submit something here, that can be included in extkbd update?

Excuse my (quite possibly) ignorance on this. I would just like to know that there is (relatively easy) doable way of adding such a keyboard, even if it include modifying some layout or whatsnot.

As some excuse for me, I can tell that my experiences with connecting USB keyboard via extkbd were quite easy - I just connected my (rather non popular, ho ever 105 keys generic) desktop keyboard, and it worked out of the box, 100%
It would be great if you contribute additional keyboard layouts to extkbd, there is not problem to include them and release a new version.
On a side note - maybe it is time for me to check how the things are going upstream and to use a newer xkbdata package. I wish the day was 48 hours...

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
All right, so I'm ordering my new mini-keyboard, expect some silly questions about how to "export" and contribute it's layout for extkbd, when I receive it...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

bump....
Any suggestions on my problems?

Originally Posted by kbyork View Post
bump....
Any suggestions on my problems?
sorry for not replying, but i really don't have time now, i am focused on cssu. once the activity there ceases, i promise i will try to help you

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I've attached several USB keyboards to my n900, didn't face any problem. Of course in order to use USB keyboard you must have h-e-n installed.

In h-e-n UI follow normal procedure for connecting usb flash drive for example, just skip mount step. Have in mind that keyboard is most probably "Low Speed" or "Full Speed" USB. After that open extkbd UI, your keyboard should be listed there.

If it is not, please get dmesg output and post it here.

BTW you need to setup keyboard layout only once.
Thanks lots! Have it working now. Some symbols are mixed up but thats not a biggie, gotta try other layouts then ;D

Btw I needed HIGH speed to get it to work! I almoast posted my dmesg but I read some into it and saw an error similar to: 'low speed selected, but device needs full or high speed.' so I went on to try some more settings and with results.

Tomorrow I can be all geeky at the university making notes with my full sice desktop keyboard hehehe..

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Polska
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I think I already told you to not use setxkbmap. If you insist on using it ok, just reminding you that this is EXTKBD thread, not SETXKBMAP thread.

Sorry and please understand.
He needs to use the full keyboard on my n900. It is now used to use USB keyboard (works very well I have all the numeric keys, ctrl + backspace = TaskManager and modified hildon keys after leaving the task manager q, w, e, r, a, s, d, f. ..... ).
Bluetooth keyboard I bought because I had hoped it use the. There were problems which I could not find answers so I tried everything (xkb chinook, hid script, keyboard bluetoth for fremantle).
I have saved settings usb keyboard

whether something helps

I know and understand the Lord is now very busy, but kindly please help.

So, I've received my lovely mini keyboard (USB), and i'm totally amazed with extkbd - it works perfectly, out of the box. Keyboard was recognized as "USB-compliant" by extkbd, and layout set automatically to 105 keys - keyboard has actually exactly 88 keys, but, still *everything* work's very fine - letters, numbers, special characters, my language accented characters (!), and even numpad invoked by "Fn" key on keyboard itself (!!!). Awesome stuff.

(picture will be here soon, uploading)

The only minor glitch with layout itself is that - while using keypad with "Fn" - "keypad 5" and "keypad 2" doesn't work. No big deal, I can get this by other means

Ho ever, there is also other minor glitch with extkbd behavior itself (I suppose). When I connect and enumerate my keyboard, also mouse cursor is shown. That's ok. Ho ever, upon disconnecting it, mouse cursor stay visible - no matter if I shut vBoost (in H-E-N) first, or just close H-E-N as whole - it's just there. Normally, it's no huge deal, ho ever, if - during work with external keyboard - I use keypad numbers as mouse cursor control, upon disconnecting, I loose ability to "click" via tapping screen. I can move cursor by touching screen, but no clicking on anything (be it icon, powerkey menu, or whatever). I was forced to use trick with opening and closing camera shutter many times in few seconds, to invoke watchdog's reboot of device.

So, is there any command from xterm, that I can use to bring cursor settings to "normal" after disconnecting keyboard? Or even better, can I help in any way (debug info), so this report could result in improving extkbd to deal with such situations?

Thanks in advance for answer, freemangordon.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

@Estel - from extmou thread:

NOTE - current version of h-e-n does not detect device removal, so if you just close h-e-n with mouse attached, the cursor will remain visible. A workaround procedure is:

1. disconnect mouse
2. press enumerate

Ops shame on me, sorry. As my defense, II'll tell that I didn't thought I should look in extmou thread - I was using keyboard only. Is it normal, that connecting generic "USB-compliant" keyboard, result in extmou enabling cursor? It appear as soon as I connect keyboard (not only when I start to use numpad to move cursor).

thanks, anyway!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Seems you have some keyboard/mouse combo, that is why you have cursor when device is connected.

Tags
bluetooth, keyboard