Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Just saw this news from Puhelinvertailu about Nokia's Meegoteam having another Meego device in development.

German source: Google translated

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
This would seem unlikely in view of Elop's stated opinion of Nokia's future with Meego:

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Nok.../1135267179932

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
In the view of that article, I would agree.

But I for one have given up believing Nokia (or Elop) will hold themselves to their previous statements. Nokia will do whatever they want, it's time to stop expecting them to keep to their word.

however, if they do finally make a nokiatab, I would love to have a play

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I think it's less about them keeping their word and more about their aims and intentions. Nokia has ruined their brand in most eyes and, in the case of Maemo/MeeGo consumers, they've particularly hurt that relationship increasingly over the last several years and this kind of statement is the nail in the coffin for that relationship.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
I really don't understand what is the point with meego brand/name??? Why do people want to hold on to it???

Why can't Nokia do devices with linux kernel without all the hustle and bustle with intel and meego. Just go the way google went with the kernel and openness. Keep it a bit less open but with lots of options to customise?

I know lots of open source enthusiasts out there want to burn me in a bonfire for this opinion but it seems the development was just too slow for market situation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Why can't Nokia do devices with linux kernel without all the hustle and bustle with intel and meego. Just go the way google went with the kernel and openness. Keep it a bit less open but with lots of options to customise?
Googles way is slow and restricted. You are probably thinking in context of mobile phones. Meego is not about mobile phones at all. Itīs about IVI systems, A&V systems and possibly home automation. Of course not forgetting mobile phone that basically has all important information and combines all devices. HW vendors would have completely free hands to tweak meego to their hardware and collaborate to open development of core system. After all it would give open playground to _all_ HW manufacturers from two person "corporations" to corporations size of Nokia to play on same field.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, goodbye nokia