Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
This might be an embarassingly n00b question but how can I access the web console of the sailfish browser?
There's no developer tools window AFAIK.

When sailfish-browser is started from the shell it does display quite useful debug messages but no output from javascript, so where do my console.log() prints go to?

The reason why I am curious about it is that I have an application that works correctly in Firefox and Chrome but fails on my Jolla device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The reason why I am curious about it is that I have an application that works correctly in Firefox and Chrome but fails on my Jolla device.
Laverna ?...

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Laverna ?...
No, Laverna is not my application
I am talking about an invoice generator I did recently... https://github.com/juiceme/pantterilasku

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Code:
journalctl -af | grep browser
not an option?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Code:
journalctl -af | grep browser
not an option?
No, browser does not write to journal at all...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Back in the day when android/ios didn't support remote debugging there was this project called weinre – sadly most of the documentation is now 404. But there's some code mirrored at the apache cordova github. Perhaps you can get it running. It emulates the dev tools on your phone and displays it at a remote chrome instance.

Also, something like jsconsole might help you (I have not tested it!).
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following User Says Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
OK, now I found out the root of half of the problem

Why my application did not work on Jolla; the problem was not my javascript, it was actually one of the JSON files I use for configuration... in the latest commit I modified the file format but when I pulled the new version from git to my device I forgot to update the file-in-use to the new template

But the original question remains; Where do I see the web console output from the browser???

Originally Posted by velox View Post
Back in the day when android/ios didn't support remote debugging there was this project called weinre – sadly most of the documentation is now 404. But there's some code mirrored at the apache cordova github. Perhaps you can get it running. It emulates the dev tools on your phone and displays it at a remote chrome instance.

Also, something like jsconsole might help you (I have not tested it!).
well, jconsole manual says;

Current known support

Remote debugging has been developed to work on all platforms, even if the technology isn't supported. However, jsconsole remote debugging has specifically tested and working on the follow mobile devices (feel free to add to this list):
  • iOS 4.2.x - iPad, iPhone 4
  • Andriod 2.2.2 - Nexus One
  • webOS - Palm Pre
Now what a surprise, there's no mention of SFOS...

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
i think you need to write some extension sending you jsconsole logs, as it can be not bridged from gecko to qtmozembed/embedlite components

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now what a surprise, there's no mention of SFOS...
Well, to be fair, no one knows about SFOS*.

I'd try it anyway. If it doesn't work, ping me via DM and I might take a look if time allows.

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
i think you need to write some extension sending you jsconsole logs, as it can be not bridged from gecko to qtmozembed/embedlite components
I think the JS-remote-way might really be the way to go (if it's not parse errors or such) – I've successfully used it on <4th-gen iOS, old cordova on android 4 (with that buggy non-chrome webkit) and such to just relay console messages and DOM-tree. It's been a while, though. JS is a bit like chewing gum in a way.

*) everyone here knows what I meant – I'd love tell you the opposite, no flame intended.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following User Says Thank You to velox For This Useful Post: