I can confirm that GPS is activated at reboot, even when GPS is disabled in proximus. Otherwise proximus looks very good.

cron-type command execution with easy user interface is something I have been waiting for N9. Something similar of "alarmed" in n900. Proximus would be a good candidate for that. Is this using harmattan "timed" for time based exection?

Nice...
Looking forward to see all features from Nokia Situations in Proximus

The Following User Says Thank You to samized For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Wooww!!
This app is exactly what i suggest on IdeasProject
Profiles/apps launcher based on my position (My Spot!)
http://www.ideasproject.com/ideas/11568

Keep the good work, mate!

The Following User Says Thank You to efion For This Useful Post:
As suggested, Proximus should try in some way emulate what Nokia Situation does, one thing I miss the most is postioning via Cell Towers, I believed to be more advantageous over the usage of GPS location due to battery consumption. Besides, the ability to toggle Flight mode on and off is also quite desirable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kai_en For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Just because you see a compass icon doesn't mean it's using GPS.
GPS = satellites
Uncheck "use gps" and it won't use satellite, or the GPS chip.You still get a status icon. Ask Nokia why, not me

Originally Posted by eschnepel View Post
Looks great!
Would It be possible to add detection of wlan access points for rules?
A Nice feature would be the ability to switch background connections on/off.
Sure, I wanted to do this anyways. That and bluetooth.

Originally Posted by sconf View Post
cron-type command execution with easy user interface is something I have been waiting for N9. Something similar of "alarmed" in n900. Proximus would be a good candidate for that. Is this using harmattan "timed" for time based exection?
I'm going to do this too but I want to get this in Ovi store without that feature first, it seems like something they wouldn't allow if they know about it. Btw the daemon runs as user and not root due to calendar limitations (Nokia's fault, not mine) so any commands run need to work as user. Maybe I can run a 2nd daemon later but that is getting kinda silly.

Any rule created that has a time component will have two QTimer objects created to keep track of what times the rule can potentially become active and inactive. There's also a QSystemAlignedTimer that runs every 45-60 minutes to check for relavent calendar entries, and it creates 2 more QTimers if it sees any. I'll probably change them all to QSystemAlignedTimer but since they don't fire very often the savings won't be much.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-01-03 at 17:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eschnepel View Post
Looks great!
Would It be possible to add detection of wlan access points for rules?
A Nice feature would be the ability to switch background connections on/off.
Yep, that's what's I'm missing from Nokia Situations, in addition to time range.
This would allow something like:
- between 23h and 6h => silent mode (or better, limited connection to save battery)
- if nearby my office wifi => silent mode, but with full connectivity, so I can be notified for my private stuff without bothering the open space
- everything else => ringing, full connectivity.

Thanks for the good work !

The Following User Says Thank You to sysedit For This Useful Post:
@Creamy Goodness
It might not be using the GPS chip but it still seems to be wanting to get a location. The compass shows up and my battery app shows that Positioning is hogging a ton of power (no other apps running that would use it.)
Along with that, not sure if I set a rule wrong, but I had it set to go to silent for hours of work and it doesn't work. Is a reboot (restart of the daemon) needed to make a rule work? I think I did it anyway (can't quite remember) but the phone doesn't go to silent.

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Can you add support for disabling the lockscreen code when on certain recognised wifi networks? There was an app on the N900 which allowed that, it was very useful.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
@Creamy Goodness
It might not be using the GPS chip but it still seems to be wanting to get a location. The compass shows up and my battery app shows that Positioning is hogging a ton of power (no other apps running that would use it.)
The same happened to me. Uninstalling Proximus solved the issue. I will check next versions. Thanks.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
@Creamy Goodness
Along with that, not sure if I set a rule wrong, but I had it set to go to silent for hours of work and it doesn't work. Is a reboot (restart of the daemon) needed to make a rule work? I think I did it anyway (can't quite remember) but the phone doesn't go to silent.
If you're sure the rule is enabled and the daemon is running it could be a bug. If it's supposed to be only time based make sure the other location and calendar stuff is disabled and let me know the times you entered so I can verify it works or not. The logic is confusing for that part, maybe I missed something.
The GPS logic is very simple, however, at least on my end. I don't really want to blame Nokia because it is difficult to prove, but I'm pretty sure whatever you're looking at is caused by the CPU usage of their positioning daemon. It is indeed quite "high" (meaning greater than zero) when it's been told not to track satellites and that we only want to know the position every minute or two. I'm not sure exactly what to do about that...

-edit- I found and fixed the bug for the time rule not activating / deactivating.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-01-13 at 03:56.

Tags
proximus