Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
So as to minimise derailment of more narrowly focused threads, now might be a good time to start a more general thread.
It can be for folks who want to talk about Sailfish(Jolla) prospects, based on what we know & is rumoured.
It can also be about putting forward what we think their strategy/strategies must be, based on what we know.

To kick-off discussion, I'll post some articles from MNB (comments are sometimes more insightful than the articles):
http://mynokiablog.com/2014/01/05/el...of-work-to-do/
http://mynokiablog.com/2014/01/06/mn...-sales-so-far/

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-01-07 at 04:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Good. Im very intressets to hear and read abort These things. Started a similar thread called jPhone ll With great discussion when someone suddenly moves IT to off topic and discussion died after awhile. Maybe they didn't like My threadline or they dont like discussion either way it's good to have a thread like this. The future is coming...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

uhm... this guy/girl says that Jolla said that they'd sell 20k devices in 2013, but I recall them saying they'd "deliver" 20k "this month [December 2013] alone". Of course this was on twitter somewhere, so good luck finding it.

Typical sold != delivered problem in the mobile industry.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yup, Janne (a common Finnish name for men), a well-respected commentator/writer there.
But a bit too keen to pooh-pooh Sailfish(Jolla) at every turn from my observations there thus far.
He comes across well-intentioned & straight-up, but there's def. some astro-turfing sometimes.
Admittedly I'm not a heavy commenter/reader there lately, so I may not have the full picture.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-01-08 at 11:58.

I guess part of the reason this thread exists, is because of my comments opposing the statement that Jolla couldn't be working on a next model.

Well, Kazam managed to come out with 7 phone models in their first product announcement. Surely Jolla is likely to have a much heavier hand on the hardware design process than Kazam did, but even so I don't think anyone would start up today without planning to announce at least one product a year.

As it is, even Firefox OS and Ubuntu Phones are struggling, there was never any real MeeGo phones and we've seen nothing of Tizen yet, so I think Jolla would be naive if they expect to live from the Sailfish OS alone. They come from Nokia, and their first model has sold reasonably well. I expect a 2nd model to be out in time for the christmas 2014 sale.

Wouldn't you think?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Regarding sales, I've always figured it's a good indication of how many devices there are if you count the downloads from the Jolla store. Android compatilibity is the most downloaded app and it has currently a bit over 12,000 downloads.

I believe it counts downloads per user (a Jolla account), otherwise if you were a developer of course you would make a bot to download it a thousands times a day to keep it on top of the lists.

So 12k to 15k is a good estimate of sold Jollas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miharin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
12k to 15k delivered devices so 20k seems like a fair enough estimation of soled devices Atm. Let's say 20081 to be exact.

Will jolla stay Europe Only? Tizen will come out hard in Asia in march(Atleast try) and so if jolla will make a move there now is the time.

My bet. JPhone ll announcement August.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
I did not install android support and hopefully I am not alone!

Cheers,
b.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sponka For This Useful Post:
It looks like Intel didn't announce anything about their handset SoCs on the CES 2014 conference. Not a good development for the future of Sailfish if we care about moving to native drivers.

Looks like Tangier / Merrifield is a missed target anyway - it doesn't use Intel's GPU, so drivers are busted. We'll have to wait until Anniedale / Moorefield, and that is almost a year away: http://wccftech.com/intel-2014-roadm...rivals-coming/

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-01-09 at 01:51.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
12k to 15k delivered devices so 20k
Will jolla stay Europe Only? Tizen will come out hard in Asia in march(Atleast try) and so if jolla will make a move there now is the time.

My bet. JPhone ll announcement August.
The Other Half was announced in May, Jolla works quite open and announce their products early. I'd want the product delivered at least Dec. 10th, if I wanted to hook up on the christmas effects.

Jollas best marked would be expected to be Finland. However, they have Asian business partners and funding... I don't know. Can they easily upscale if the demand is high? Then I guess they'd want to open up in Asia. If not, they probably want to build up a name in this market first.