Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Shoe #2 "Drops"!! No N9 in US VIVA LA N900!!" (4 posts) has been merged into this thread.

........................uk?

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Philadelphia
Originally Posted by ajwatt View Post
"No plans?" The N9 cleared the FCC. Someone was planning to sell it here.

I wonder if Nokia has any plans to sell anything in the US.
I'm fairly certain that by having the N9 cleared, Nokia will be able to either skip or at least severely reduce the amount of time it will take for the identical hardware Windows Phone 7 version of the N9, code name "Sea Ray", to be cleared by the FCC. That would be a pretty good reason to put the N9 through.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flailingmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Exactly. Having been involved in CE testing for a product, i can say in short that having to re-test only parts can lessen time for certification if certain preconditions are met. Which should involve at least the RF part here, (the case is not really that different), so much less time needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Lol, nice.
It looks like Nokia is really working hard at sabotaging itself.
If before today I was considering the N9 as a possible future phone for me, now I am pretty sure my next phone will be an Android.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
MeeGo N9 a threat to WP N9
http://utestme.com/wp-as-a-far-cry-from-meego/
Translation: We are not going to jeopardize the Microsoft powered N9 US sales by letting the customers compare a better MeeGo to a worse WP, given the exact same hardware premises.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyrath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
According to Comscore, Microsoft's smartphone share in the US is dropping - and they're hoping Nokia will reverse that? In the US? Because Nokia is such a well-known brand for high-end phones in the US?

And the US, of course, is such a huge part of the worldwide mobile phone market... /S

I'd get depressed but I promised myself I'd stop getting depressed over what Nokia is doing.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I bet Nokia will come with N9 to US. cause of FCC already filled but it will run WP7.

And then.they will try to give "free upgrade" to the europeans to run WP7 in Q1 2011. start make me wonder if this is the "support" Klas Ström means :O

FAIL

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I bet Nokia will come with N9 to US. cause of FCC already filled but it will run WP7.

And then.they will try to give "free upgrade" to the europeans to run WP7 in Q1 2011. start make me wonder if this is the "support" Klas Ström means :O

FAIL
Unlikely, as the N9 is TI OMAP based whereas WP7 devices are (so far, and this isn't likely to change any time soon with Nokia and stock Mango) Qualcomm Snapdragon based.

So the N9 and the Nokia WP7 "SeaRay" will be totally different devices in terms of internal hardware, but externally they (may) look very similar. I seriously doubt the FCC would care much - if at all - about external appearance. Maybe one day Microsoft will support more SoC hardware than just Snapdragon, but for now that's all their is.

The N9 will be available in the US though, via Expansys etc. - from Juha-Pekka Helminen, "Mobile telecoms & device strategy & planning, product mgmt, BD, MeeGo, Qt. @Nokia":

It basically means that Expansys or whoever will sell you #N9 in the US "grey market" i.e. they will import it to the US.
Followed up with this tweet:

What this basically means is that Nokia will not provide first line customer care and support in the US either for #N9.
So the N9 will be available in the US one way or another, no doubt with pretty hefty price mark ups, and don't expect any first line support from Nokia. Nice, eh?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, buysomethinelse, facepalm(tm), galactus, goodbye nokia, just stop, n9 rox