Active Topics

Nevermind, this post was uncharacteristically negative for me.

check out the new ipod touch.

Sorry.

Last edited by SamAdam; 2007-09-05 at 18:11.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Nah, I don't think so. Bye bye.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
It's just starting.

Why would hackers flock to this thing? To write ipod games? Or is there an open API?

Hackers? Apple will make life as difficult as possible for hackers. Jobs likes completely closed systems.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I assume this thread is about the iPod Touch which has a large touchscreen, b/g wifi and Safari browser? Definately competition for the Nokia Internet Tablets - for the casual user I can see Apple getting a lot of sales, Nokia less so.

This device will definately prove to be a tough "competitor" for the Nokia Tablets - I know they're not direct competitors, but in terms of the core competencies alone the Apple product will appeal far more to casual buyers than the Nokia tablets ever will. Web surfing, video and audio playback are the activites the Nokia Tablets have aspired to, but due to lacklustre UI and application design the Tablets will prove no match for the iPod Touch.

It's not quite game over, but Nokia have almost lost the battle for the "internet tablet". Nokia need to focus on other core competencies - email, rss and dare I say it - PDA. The iPod has always had a native Calendar and Contacts app for christs sakes...

I says too: goodbye "Nokia N800/770", hello " iPod Touch!"

Certainly not over, however when Apple do eventually open up the Mac OS X "lite" platform to developers Nokia have a big problem. It'll either do two things for the Internet Tablet:

1. Force Nokia to invest some serious R&D money in it and stop treating it as a hobby/experiment.

OR

2. Kill it.

Hope it's the first option.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I assume this thread is about the iPod Touch which has a large touchscreen, b/g wifi and Safari browser? Definately competition for the Nokia Internet Tablets - for the casual user I can see Apple getting a lot of sales, Nokia less so.

This device will definately prove to be a tough "competitor" for the Nokia Tablets - I know they're not direct competitors, but in terms of the core competencies alone the Apple product will appeal far more to casual buyers than the Nokia tablets ever will. Web surfing, video and audio playback are the activites the Nokia Tablets have aspired to, but due to lacklustre UI and application design the Tablets will prove no match for the iPod Touch.

It's not quite game over, but Nokia have almost lost the battle for the "internet tablet". Nokia need to focus on other core competencies - email, rss and dare I say it - PDA. The iPod has always had a native Calendar and Contacts app for christs sakes...

thank you for saying more eloquently what I was trying to say. Hackers flock to what people own, and I see all the hackers going to this especially because it uses the iPhone toolchain they have already developed.

Does the iPod touch have a microphone or support bluetooth keyboard? In a way, this new device will call attention to the tablet category. The N800 was always a niche device -- but a way for Nokia to get their feet wet. The touch doesn't spell the demise for Nokia, but it will probably lead to a boom in tablet sales all around.

It does sound like the demise for Palm, though.

Also, I called the Starbucks thing the other day... They have been installing flat panels with "now playing" information in all of the local Starbucks. Assumed it was some deal with Starbucks entertainment. I'm never right about stuff, but this time I was. :-P