Yea i read it on meego forums, its only a lend.

Understand about the hinge and numbers - not worth the trouble for them.

Wonder how many here WILL purchase it without warranty on ebay if Nokia did not require these devices to be returned ?

oh well - no choice but droid for me since i need a hwkb

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
sorry, wrong word. correct word is lended and one must return the unit after lend perioid is over.

e: if I remember correctly, there were rumours concerning the hinge mechanism. it wouldn't make sense to sell small amount of units that can break down from the hinge, responsibilities would probably be much bigger than what they get when selling the devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
>But it wasn't the final step - they're pre-production phones built for showing off and developing on. They still had a boatload of work to do before firing up the factories for a full production batch.

The MeeGo device was step 5 of 5 of a plan that's been going on for at least 5 years, if not more. And if the numbers are true, 92,000 pre-production units? Maybe, but that seems a bit high.

>If you have the choice of selling 95 000 copies of a newspaper, or 100 000 copies of two similar newspapers split roughly evenly, what are you gonna do? Smart companies don't cannibalise sales of their own devices.

Look at previous Nokia releases. Kbd vs. no kbd, heck even the names are almost the same C6 vs. C6-01 (released a few months apart), or E7 vs. C7 (let's not get carried away with precise examples, this is for illustration purposes). Anyways, my point is this kind of kbd. vs. non-kbd phone at Nokia is quite standard.

>Where did you get that figure from, out of interest?

From the board and the internet. Yeah, I know....

>Not really - Nokia don't want their name on a phone they're not willing to back with a Warranty.[/QUOTE]

I Agree. But that has nothing to do with cannibalism.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Slovakia
well the great Nokia N950 is alive, and looks usable. but as you already know - just developers edition......Iīd like to have one :-)
check this out....

http://mobilenet.cz/clanky/bajna-nok...o-a-dojmy-7222

The Following User Says Thank You to jotun For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
There's also another N950 hands-on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAS97vlOPI

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
N950 = fkin awesome uber phone
N9 = gay

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dragoss91 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post

Wonder how many here WILL purchase it without warranty on ebay if Nokia did not require these devices to be returned ?

I'd still take my chances and buy the n950 without warranty and flaky hinge. I have plenty of duct tape so no problem if the hinge breaks...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post

Actually, they canīt sell it without giving at least a 2 year guarantee in Europe, or 1 year in US.

In the EU if you sell a new product you need to fulfill a two year warranty, whether or not you claim not to provide it.

But they could charge you for access to Nokia launchpad and then give it to you, or lend with with a "wink, wink, nod nod" expectation of you never returning it. Maybe thatīs the plan.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
But they could charge you for access to Nokia launchpad and then give it to you, or lend with with a "wink, wink, nod nod" expectation of you never returning it. Maybe thatīs the plan.
Yeh, I can't imagine nokia wanting it back

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
The MeeGo device was step 5 of 5 of a plan that's been going on for at least 5 years, if not more. And if the numbers are true, 92,000 pre-production units? Maybe, but that seems a bit high.
That was just a quote from a guy that doesn't even work for Nokia anymore - and I call bullcrap on that 92 000 figure. Anyway, it doesn't discount the fact that the phone wasn't ready for production and would've cost money to get ready.

Look at previous Nokia releases. [..]. Anyways, my point is this kind of kbd. vs. non-kbd phone at Nokia is quite standard.
Yeh, losing market share at Nokia is quite standard too You can't say something is a good idea just because they've done it before.

not sure if this has already been posted

http://youtu.be/6U8jH_apD2k

Tags
gimme, plz lemme buy, take my money!, want noa!!