Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Yeah, let them run Android whatsapp if they so need it.
I wonder how exactly is that gonna work. I mean I don't understand how an emulator will push notifications about whatsapp among other stuff

I expect it to be somewhat crippled comparing to the native version. Or at least less integrated with the environment. Blackberry attempted to provide such Android VM as well, and it usually is always inferior experience. Anyway, it's only a fallback for someone really desperate, so they'll live with it. Normally you should avoid it.

Yeah, let them run Android whatsapp if they so need it.
And Tarek's OpenWhatsApp could be made available too, right? We should support open development, especially when it's this good.

http://openwhatsapp.org/

No idea. In my perspective Whatsapp should be decommissioned for good, instead of supporting it

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Yea that's true and it's an option but Jolla should finally know how to provide it and not tell (somewhat) different things at every interview.
Um, they've been saying more-or-less the same thing for about 6-mth now, we'll know the full story in a few wks.
It'll be tricky to buy in many countries, but many others outside Finland/China should be able to get it online-only.
I just hope they provide decent support & warranty coverage for those sort of buyers...

I expect it to be somewhat crippled comparing to the native version. Or at least less integrated with the environment. Blackberry attempted to provide such Android VM as well, and it usually is always inferior experience. Anyway, it's only a fallback for someone really desperate, so they'll live with it. Normally you should avoid it.
I just hope Myriad's implementation is better than BBX's, the latter has been copping lots of flack, so if the former's better OOTB that'll be a boost to Sailfish's wider appeal.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-09 at 03:17.

Is the stupid feed not working for everyone else?
http://beijing.thegmic.com/live/
Marc's not due to give his speech till 2pm Beijing time today
http://beijing.thegmic.com/agenda/

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I just hope Myriad's implementation is better than BBX's, the latter has been copping lots of flack, so if the former's better OOTB that'll be a boost to Sailfish's wider appeal.
BB10 is using an old android build, which prevents most current versions of android apps from running. No word yet on when ICS/JB runtime will be released, but it's not a part of the 10.1 update cycle as far as i know.
Jolla have made comments which i have interpreted to say "near to native" with little or no noticeable loss of speed or performance, so I can only assume it's already fairly advanced from a development perspective

Yeah that's what I've understood too but who really knows, I hope it's not a let down.
I see a solid implementation in that area, as a crucial way to get an edge over others.
What's the deal with the GMIC conference, are you able to get it up on your browser?

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
no feed for me. just black screen.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why orange and green.? Orange just so cheep and fits geek phone perfect, not a premium device. The mean green machine might work unless they going for neon green which is my first thought when I think about the disco vendor jolla.

Please release solid colors.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?