Posts: 111 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Kazakhstan
So, you'll find how to get a proper flash and improved experience of N9 by reading what I did on this post of this thread.

Hopefully it might help someone who wants a fresh start with a Nokia N9

--- Original post
Hi guys !

I'm here to ask you few questions about my N9: made in China for Vietman market, bought it from Amazon US while I was in New-Zealand. And now is in France.

According to the SIM tray the variant is 059N151 (seems legit, it's white, 64GB, and was with some Vietnamese app):
Product Code : 059N151
Varian Name : N9 Rm-696 Country Variant Vietnam Vn Apps Preloading White 64gb

The thing is I had a problem ~1year ago and had to flash my phone. Here is what it is currently:

According to QR Code I flashed it with:
Product Code : 059M5R1
Varian Name : Rm-696 Ndt Vietnam White 64gb

What is currently really annoying for me is that I have this message at each start of my device:

Problem is not the message (I don't care) but what it implies: security stuff are disabled, so I cannot set a password and have to enter it each time I want to unlock it (I don't want people use my phone while it's charging in a hostel/backpacker).

What I understand is that I did a forbidden flash from PR1.3 variant 454 to a PR1.3 variant 005. Do you think this is why I have this "Warranty Permanently Void" message?

Since I will flash my device again, with security features hopefully enabled, what variant should I use ?

Thanks already for your help
pmeuh
Attached Images

Last edited by pmeuh; 2014-03-25 at 09:02. Reason: Typo

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Semms like you flashed another kernel - like open mode one - ubi boot ?

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
If you are mainly concerned about device lock, you can install it. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92465

@nieldk: open mode ubi boot means nothing to me. What I know is that my phone is (probably) incepted. Is this anyhow related ?

@DJJonosound: isn't it dangerous to follow topic you shared on an incepted phone ?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@pmeuh you flashed damaged image. that the reason of appearing warning message. you need to download firmware image again and reflash phone. warning will be removed and all security features work.

@coderus: I ask on main N9 flashing thread if there are any md5 sums or something to be sure image is not damaged. Does it exist or I just have to try and hope download did not ****ed up the image ?

Thanks all

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
I would suggest a reflash vía Nokia Suite, the software would choose the appropriate image.
Regards

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@pmeuh there are vpl files with crc32 in full arcives with images. but i dont know if it available today or not

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Thanks every one for all help.

I will use this post to remember what I did from flashing to improve N9 with various mod affecting Nokia Maps/Drive or UI. Maybe it might help someone else as well, even if this phone is less and less used.

First of all, I saved what I wanted to save like contacts, images and music (AND I ****ING FORGOT TO SAVE NOTES once again). Then I follow this thread doing a "Comprehensive reset" using WinFlasher_3.12.1.exe on Windows 7 64bit.

I downloaded this main.bin (New Zealand) and this emmc.bin (rest of world).

Flashing has been fast and smooth. I have been so scared when my phone has restarted and asked me which was the security password. I type which I tried to set a long time ago and it worked. Such a relief !

I activate Developer Mode with Utilities (wget/nano/X11-utils).

I started by removing any app I don't want such as games, register my different accounts and hiding few icons doing:
Code:
echo "NotShowIn=X-MeeGo;" >> /usr/share/applications/<icon_i_dont_want>.desktop
  1. Installed Filebox 'cause I'm not much of a terminal guy.
  2. Installed Aegis-install hack package
  3. Installed Harmattan Trusted repository. Certified source.
  4. Installed Warehouse, it's an applicaion store.
  5. Modified Nokia Maps/Drive to improve it. Command lines have faulty URLs. I found patch_2.6-2+maemo7+0m6_armel.deb here.
  6. Installation of Power menu QML: "#apt-get install power-menu-qml". Timing I set: 100/150/250.
  7. Installed of Unrestricted System UI + Unrestricted Settings. Make sure to create these folders as user:
    Code:
    $ mkdir -p /home/user/.status-menu
    $ cp -v /usr/share/sysuid/items-order.conf /home/user/.status-menu/
    $ cp -v /usr/share/sysuid/top-order.conf /home/user/.status-menu/
    $ cp -v /usr/share/sysuid/pannable-order.conf /home/user/.status-menu/
  8. Installed system-ui-widgets & system-ui-tools & system-ui-brightness-qml & system-ui-unrestricted-server.
  9. Installed the best Whatsapp client nowadays: Whatsup. Register your Whatsapp account number following these steps (3rd message) (since Whatsup v1.0 it should be good anyway).
  10. My earpiece is really low, so I apply thoses modifications by mr666acdc & mautz
  11. I like to have my own Top-Site in grob internet browser.
  12. Changing default SMS message for rejecting calls.
  13. Installed mt-toggle and some toggle such as flashlight-toggle, bluetooth-toggle, nfc-toggle, flightmode-toggle and orientation-lock-toggle through the Warehouse application. Here is solution to remove the animation.
  14. Installed N9 Button Monitor through Warehouse application. It makes it possible to configure new actions from N9 buttons.
    Here is my /home/user/.config/n9-button-monitor.ini (default file) configuration for these new possibilities:
    Code:
    torchAutoShutOffTimeMs=300000
    longClickDelayMs=250
    doubleClickDelayMs=100
    trebleClickDelayMs=200
    cameraDisabled=0
    dbusPatternDelayMs=800

###Toggle Flash Light from Screensaver with long press on Volume+ button
    action=torchToggle,volumeUp,longClickStart,screenLocked
    ### Hold Volume+ in camera app to focus, release to take a picture
    action=clickCameraFocus,volumeUp,longClickStart,cameraAppFocused
    action=clickCameraSnap,volumeUp,longClickStop,cameraAppFocused
    ### Tap Volume+ in camera app to take a picture
    action=clickCameraSnap,volumeUp,singleClick,cameraAppFocused

To be edited... if I find new tricks.

Last edited by pmeuh; 2014-12-20 at 20:37.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pmeuh For This Useful Post: