okay i screwed my n900 because of a comand line and need to reflash.

i was wanting to restore my n900 back to factory settings but wanted a 3GB application memory instead of 2GB, 756MB RAM and 756MB virtual memory, the rest of the memory is MyDocs.

i dont know about rootfs (i think it is, where your memory goes down by catalogues) [only way to describe] but wanted more memory i think it is 256MB and i want it to be 512MB.

these are my only request if anyone could help me i would be so glad i dont get rid of the N900 for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (S2 is a wicked phone but too expensive)

One last thing if i install NITDroid on emmc does it need partitioning or does it create a new folder in /home/

Last edited by CaSPeRFXX; 2011-05-10 at 17:05.

is there anyway ?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Basic technology explanation time:

DRAM ("RAM"/"Memory") is a completely unrelated thing to storage. RAM is extremely fast in comparison to "storage"/what-you're-refering-to-memory (the stuff you can save data on and it doesn't go away when you turn off the device - RAM is a lot faster but it needs power to work - turn off the device and RAM empties).

So no, you can't change eMMC partitions to increase RAM. RAM is a physical chip capable of storing 256MB. It can't be increased without changing the chip - and no you can't change the chip.

Virtual Memory is the total of swap space and RAM. You have 1GB of that by default. What you're talking about when saying virtual memory, is the swap partition. That's already about 756 MB, if I recall correctly.

Basically, the only realistic change is the application memory. You can easily increase that, to more than 3GB if you want. I do 9GB. *Shrug*

Anyway, swap space might be increasable by modifying the eMMC image, I'm unsure.

But legally, no one can give you their modified eMMC images, because of the whole distributing Nokia's proprietary software thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
okay i understand

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
You can't change:
- rootfs size
- RAM size
because that is simply their sizes on the chip.

You can however change:
- Swap size
- Size of "application memory"
by repartitioning the eMMC with, let's say, GParted. It is actually a very easy process, but one you shouldn't do if you are not totally sure what you are doing.