Active Topics

Still using as single device

The Following User Says Thank You to enne30 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 238 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Bulgaria
When for the first time i watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBfZr-fFag then i decide,this is phone which i want.

The Following User Says Thank You to disappear For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
I bought the Nokia N9 which I consider garbage. It's dusting down.
I don't own an n9, and use the n900 as my only phone and desktop replacement. But can I ask why you consider the n9 garbage?

The Following User Says Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
I bought my N900 in Fall 2009 and still use it as my main phone. I've put up with it's eccentricities like phone manager popping up whenever I connect the USB slot and not being able to hear calls in noisy areas (now use headset). It's been very reliable. I've always tried to use a screen protector and case. Taken it traveling with me many times. I always charge using the USB cable to be nicer to the battery. I bought a spare battery which didn't hold it's charge. Are Nokia branded batteries the best?

The main things I like are the FM transmitter, 32 GB storage (never had to worry about lack of free space), hardware keyboard, open source software. It's showing it's age though against all the phones with HD screens. I was going to replace it with a Galaxy S3 mini but I'll keep it a while longer.

Last edited by jalandro; 2013-08-18 at 20:48. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalandro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
of course I use it, what can replace it?
Actually I write this from n810, the other greate device.

What I use n900 for except tinkering, hacking and having fun in console?

Every day I transmit podcasts or Internet radio, and listen when going to work.
I don't understand why this feature considered useless now? How people listen music from phones in car? Modern players have input jacks?

Another very useful app is fcamera.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
I am getting ready to buy one to use as my main phone.

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
I don't own an n9, and use the n900 as my only phone and desktop replacement. But can I ask why you consider the n9 garbage?
Yes, everything that is good about the N900 does not exist with the N9. And everything that is negative about Iphone and Android phones are "main features" of the N9.

Moving from the N900 to the N9 is completely frustrating and impossible.

But then again, I am hardcore N900, I love every little detail about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
I love my N900 but I can't hang onto it forever. I just don't know what to get to replace it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Just tried it again in Oregon....had a sim card for few days, but painful with email, gmail doesnt sync anymore, only one exchange account and calendar doesnt sync with my employer.........put it in my Lumia 620 and used N900 for browsing at night and IMing.....great for that....but as a regular phone it is just tooo slow

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Yep, still use N900 as main device.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus wiped and running Ubuntu Touch, but the software is just too WIP (no headphone support, no GPS support in browser or QML sdk, etc.) and Canonical dev is going slow.

Did try as main device for 2-3 weeks, the Samsung was faster, had louder call volume, could display much more information on screen, seemed to hold onto calls better when walking through deep concrete stairwells, slept deeper (although in some cases executing terminal programs would suspend) and held a charge a bit longer than 0.991 days the Nokia does with daily use/bad 3g reception, and even got used to the soft-keyboard.

Camera seems as-good, maybe a little better.

honestly, though, coming back N900 *feels* like a more professional, solid device to type on. Samsung was very functional and nice with Ubuntu, but after I stopped using it - in retrospect just felt a bit like a toy.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
...but painful with email, gmail doesnt sync anymore, only one exchange account and calendar doesnt sync with my employer...
CSSU released a patch for IMAP/gmail bug in the last 60 days or so. No problems for me since

Still use n810 when hiking/boating(ewa-marine case) with the nice transflective screen/backlight off for topomaps so N900 battery can be conserved to actually make calls/fetch mobile data when back 'on the grid'.

But with the old A8/ARM1136 chips, (small screen on the n900) and low ram with both devices I definitely feel their age.

Last edited by bjv; 2013-08-24 at 05:21. Reason: linked CSSU update

The Following User Says Thank You to bjv For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900