Active Topics

Ok, so from reading from the threads found using the search engine.

To charge the Nokia n800, the car charger has to at least put out 5V and 800 ma. Correct?

So does anyone have any good suggestions for a car charger? Does brand name really count or could I go slightly off-brand? I'm interested in a hybrid FM radio / DC charger.

Also for USB charging, I would have to get an adapter right (I can't just buy anything that would plug into the USB port. It has to be a USB to power pin right?)

Thanks.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I use a multi-tip usb power cable for mobile phones, along with a car adaptor with usb ports. Both really cheap from the local pound shop. These work great.

Only issue is a bit of interference and noise when using the audio out. I aslo use some of these cables when the N800 is on my desk next to my desk/lap/tops.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
To charge the Nokia n800, the car charger has to at least put out 5V and 800 ma. Correct?

Also for USB charging, I would have to get an adapter right (I can't just buy anything that would plug into the USB port. It has to be a USB to power pin right?)
You are correct for these two statements. You may not be able to properly charge a dead battery while using your N800 with the USB charger.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
No, just under 400mA should be fine to charge as long as the device isn't under load (it'll just take a lot longer).

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Got my N810 car charger from Overstock. Works like a charm.
Today's price is $3.99 + $2.95 shipping.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...cid=95138&fp=f

Oh cripes. I wish I would have known about that. I just paid twice that on sale for one.

Originally Posted by jpramlak View Post
Got my N810 car charger from Overstock. Works like a charm.
Today's price is $3.99 + $2.95 shipping.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...cid=95138&fp=f
Thanks, I might get this one and just buy an FM transistor seperately depending on the price. Though does anyone know if there is a more secure version of the power pin adapter since I bent my AC one slightly (it still works though). I was thinking one that wouldn't bend so easily (it dropped on the ground and was bent while charging my tablet).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I really don't know myself, but Nokia really needs to come up with a better charging system for the next tablet, and future phones. The one they have now is too prone to cause damage to the device.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
I really don't know myself, but Nokia really needs to come up with a better charging system for the next tablet, and future phones. The one they have now is too prone to cause damage to the device.
It's almost certainly MicroUSB.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
OK, this belongs in What I Want in N900, but I wish Nokia (and everyone else) would standardize on mini-USB for the re-charging jack. I have several devices that use it. It's great having the chargers be interchangable, generic chargers are readily available, you can use a wall socket or a computer USB to charge them, I have other reasons I'm already packing a USB-to-mini-USB cable anyway, AND THE "PIN" DOESN'T BEND.